Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-09-2013 , 02:00 PM

First Official Render - Mechanical 4-legged spider

This is a render of a 4-legged spider i did in class, took 3 hours to model and 20 minutes to render. The only thing i dont like are the shadows. Please tell me what you think!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-09-2013 , 05:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow! Looks great. The shadows don't bother me too much but I guess you could add a secondary light (that doesn't cast shadows) to help soften them a little if they really annoy you.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your work. Keep it up.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 19-09-2013 , 12:43 PM
Thanks you! There are actually 3 lights because the gold is a bit reflective and without the other two lights it would render weird because it reflects its surroundings, but thanks for the suggestion! Its not how dark the shadows are that bother me, it's how they look smudged and blurred that is bothering me, as of my other work they might not look as good since i'm going to be working with maya software since i am going to skills USA which requires to animate and render it quickly which mental ray kinda doesn't render as fast

# 4 22-09-2013 , 05:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
20 minutes to render! I think some refinement is called for. user added image

# 5 23-09-2013 , 10:14 AM
Location: Room 801, Building A, Ying Da Li Tech Digital Park, Fu Tian free trade zone, Shenzhen, China
Rendering's good.

# 6 23-09-2013 , 03:06 PM
Well the size is pretty big with 300 dpi and the shadows had some pretty high samples and i'm not used to mental ray so I did the best I can. The macs at school where i rendered are 3.1 ghz quad core and 4 GB ram. Im in the process of adding more objects in the background with it to make the scene more interesting but thank you for the reply guys user added image