Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-03-2014 , 09:39 PM
Lifetime Member

Digital Camera

Hi All, Here is what I've been working on for the last two weeks. I'll see if anyone can guess the type of camerauser added image.

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 2 06-03-2014 , 09:40 PM
Lifetime Member
And without the lens.

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 06-03-2014 , 11:46 PM
Technical Director
I like it. It looks like a Nikon SLR to me.

There are a few little spots that I see, mainly where you have cut into the geometry.

user added image

user added image

1. The edges are being spread apart. Add in some extra loops to keep them in place.
2. Your cut seems to have caused a strange "lump" on the top right side of the bevel.
3. The badge seems a bit lopsided.

Nice work!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 07-03-2014 , 12:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the pick-ups. I've gone in and tweaked those areas and they look much better. Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to tell you what looks poor as you've been working on it for so long you don't always notice.

I'm not sure why that badge looks crooked, it's made from a simple poly cube with a few divisions then smoothed. (see pic) Could just be the perspective.

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 07-03-2014 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Camera is looking really good Yeti! Not sure what kind it is but I like it. BTW how is your project coming along? I am in perpetual preproduction (haha...) Just got ZBrush 4r4 a few weeks ago and its like learning to ride a bike all over again. *sigh* Oh well, I guess I've got plenty of time. Don't know when I'll actually start, I'd like to use ZB and Maya simultaneously and develop some sort of pipeline. You guys in the forum are the only people I know who have even heard of Maya or ZB or anything like it. It'd be nice to have someone local to bounce ideas off of, but I will continue...

Sampson
# 6 07-03-2014 , 02:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Sampson, glad you like it. It's been a good challenge to model with some pretty crazy shaped pieces and trying to keep the mesh clean.

As for my project its still in pre-production too. I've got the story complete and I've done a rough storyboard of it, I'm in the middle of character design which involves nagging my sister to do some concept sketches for me as she just happens to be a (very busy) artist and I'm not real great at drawing.

Also I'm still using a student version of Maya for study purposes so I can't actually model anything that's to be used in the actual project (I want to be able to use it for commercial purposes), so I'm still just practicing on various objects.

By the way, I'd recommend modeling your characters in Maya even if for just the roughest form then using that as a base for zBrush. I find this much easier than trying to sculpt the main shapes out of a sphere (or cube etc.).

Cheers, the Yeti.