Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-11-2007 , 06:14 PM

New to maya

Hi everyone,
I'm new to maya, i have learnt a few things from tutorials on youtube. I'm using 8.5.

I would like to know how to animate, adding colour etc.
Is there a website that someone could advice me to go to?

Thnaks for the information that you will be able to give me.

# 2 23-11-2007 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
You seem to have already found the website you're after all by yourself! To get you started, I'd recommend that you try some of the free video tutorials. Then once you start to get more used to the interface and various tools, I can highly recommend buying yourself some points and getting some of the other video tutorials - they really are a fantastic way to learn the program. Theres only so much you can ever learn by using the free resources here or elsewhere on the web (for me, anyway).

I'm only a beginner myself, but the videos I've bought from here have been a massive help. I recently bought The Fantasy Female tutorial as I'm interested in learning how to model characters. If you're interested in modeling characters, then this is a good tutorial as it covers everything from the basics steps, such as setting up image planes, right up to uv mapping, creating custom textures, bump maps and specular maps. These are things you'll want to learn to 'add colour', as you put it! user added image

Its difficult to give you general advice on how to animate (partly because I can't do it very well myself!) because it really depends what you are trying to animate. To start with, I'd recommend downloading the free tutorial from here, Bouncing Ball Tutorial. This will introduce you to the basics of 'keyframing' your animation along the timeline, and also introduce other techniques such as using the 'graph editor' to improve the animation. But if you're interested in animating a character, you'll first need to learn about rigging - this is where you make the 'skeleton' for the character. Then you'll need to learn about skinning, where you 'bind' the skeleton you've made to the mesh of your model. With these done, you're ready to start animating! There are several video tutorials on this site that cover each of these topics.

Hope this helps you get started!

# 3 23-11-2007 , 09:50 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I will do what you say and hope i accomplish everything that i want to do.