Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-01-2008 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber

help with geom

will some one take a lookt at the file?

im building a spider and converted from polys to subd's but i got this result after i run clean up. i delete faces. no matter how hard i try or how many times i try i cant get this thing to convert to sub d's. do i need to rebuild?

i know my geom is a bit messy and i want to delete some edges but cant. any ideas what i should do?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-01-2008 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
are those thick lines border edges? user added image
if they are, maybe you should start merging the vertices

otherwise i have no idea, i haven't learned the reasons why a conversion would fail

# 3 29-01-2008 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber
Maybe the maximum division count needs to be upped.

After trying to convert there should be an error message in the bottom message bar, open the script editor (shift+s) to take a closer look at the problem. There should be a sentence saying something along the lines of "can't convert, minimum poly conversion count should be set to a minimum of ######" (###### is the number we're interested in here).

Now open the convert to Sub-d options, the division count's default is something really low like 3000, change this number to something greater than the number you found in the script editor, hit convert and you should be flying.

I've not got Maya in front of me at the moment so hopefully my instructions will be clear enough for you to follow.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 30-01-2008 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber

geom probs

it doesnt work. i end up with the verts not being merged as in the attached pic. i do merge the verts but i still get problems with the geom not converting.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 30-01-2008 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
Did you try to turn up the threshold in the merge optionbox and then merge the vertices.
It looks like you've got all separate faces. Like Chirone said, the thick blue lines are probably all border edges.

# 6 30-01-2008 , 06:01 AM
Subscriber

geom probs

yeah i did. any other suggestions. i think i might have to rebuild. i dont know how it got in that mess in the first place

# 7 30-01-2008 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
If you like i could give a look at it if you mail the file.

# 8 30-01-2008 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber

geom probs

that would be great but how do i get the file to you? i dont think the email section on this site allows you o send files. you may have to give me your email addreess

# 9 30-01-2008 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber

# 10 31-01-2008 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber
please go to mennu polygon and there under edit mesh the first option is keep faces together. is it checked. I believe that it is unchecked.

the other thing is: are the pieces one geometry or is every piece a different one in the outliner (who knows how that should have happened?) if they are... select all and combine them. otherwise merge wont work.

when still in poly mode. turn on head up display poly count. then take one face and select with dragging not picking a corner. there you should pick more then 1 vert. then use merge vertices and maybe zou need to adjust the threshold.

so...

good luck

# 11 31-01-2008 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
Hi vallaha, i looked into it and after i did a mesh\separate i saw that there were three meshes over each other. Actually i can't say three because almost the half of each mesh were separate faces. I think you did a copy/paste a few times what could be the cause of the duplicate meshes.
I have been cleaning for a few hours now but this is gone take too long.
My advise is to start over again (i would in this case) and do exactly what they say in the tutorial.

# 12 31-01-2008 , 10:26 AM
Lifetime Member
The duplicate mesh is common mistake made my most new users myself included back when I started, it usually happens without you noticing because you will select the object and then click on the extrude tool by mistake and then deselect it again for the right tool but if you do that you have to undo the extrude by hitting ctrl z or you have created a duplicate mesh exactly on top of the original.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 13 31-01-2008 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber

geom probs

thanx for help. ill try and clean things up this end and if something goes wrong again ill start over. cheers again