Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-08-2006 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber

Texture maps and sizes 4 Games

Hi guys I'm creating low poly models for a game demo reel, what I would like to know is...

>For a building such as say the haunted house tutorial size, how many texture sets would it be usually split into, and what sizes texture would be used in buildings in game purposes typically?

>The same again but for a character really...

I know this question is quite vague and open ended but please give me a general idea for an ispiring game artist.

regards

Mike

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 15-08-2006 , 09:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
It depends really. For environments, you mostly are wanting to keep your total textures down to a certain cumulative file size. For example, the game I'm working on now. For the entire environment, we'd like all the textures to be under 500k or so.

Characters are usually no more than 3 textures for a standard game: head, body, everything else.

For a game where there's lots of body part swapping, such as games that let you create your own player, like in sports games, each section might have it's own little texture.

Texture resolutions are very rarely above 512x512, and even then, most are 256x256 or smaller.

# 3 15-08-2006 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
cheers mike, How would you split up a building? 1) main brick texture, 2) Doors and windows?

ps. just reading through your 2nd book as we speak though got to keep check the boss doesn't catch me user added image

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 16-08-2006 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
mtmckinley

who do you mean by "we"

.... "we'd like all the textures to be under 500k or so."

# 5 16-08-2006 , 03:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
cool j5ive, I hope you enjoy it. user added image

I meant myself and my coworkers by "we".

# 6 16-08-2006 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
hahhahha

"we " consipracy is a brewing lol