Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-04-2007 , 02:52 AM

nurbs.... :(

hello,

I am trying to get my head around nurbs. I have been working on this pencil sharpener shaped like a dog. His outer body is made from two pieces of molded plastic joined in the middle. I have been laying out the curves and then using the boundary and loft tools to make the surfaces. I haven't attached any of the seperate pieces yet. Basically - i am just wondering if I am going about this the right way and if anyone has any useful nurbs tips or advice.

thanks user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-04-2007 , 07:38 AM
Subscriber
I watched a gnemon (whatever) tut about this, and it looks perfect to me (but thats not saying much Arron user added image ) All the wire frame is joined properly and that seemed the most important thing the guy was saying in the tut.

Looks great there mate user added image

you might need one of the big guns on this

hey Mike, Kurt, Jay.., the rest of you.., heres a serious member needing help user added image

cheers

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 10-04-2007 , 08:47 PM
thanks mr mirek user added image - i guess my post was a little vague - i was at work when i posted it - i just feel like as i get close to completing the outer shell it gets harder to match up - i was never any good at jigsaw puzzles!

Also, I am just not sure when things have to be attached. for example - his base. I made the walls and then used planar to make the top and the bottom - how would I attach the planar pieces to the walls and is there even any need to?

of course i've just realised that like a douche bag i posted this in the members lounge rather than the basic and newbie forum so if any of the mods want to move this for me I'd be much obliged.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-04-2007 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
???? any need to join the base?? beats me.., does it need to move?? even then you could just group it eh?? Not many work in nurbs like this any more or so some young gun at gnomon (another tut) said in the hyper real head tut, well.., he seemed adverse to this where as the other guy, an older guy from another gnomon tut on doing real heads from nurbs patches said this way was a great way to do a real portrait, like from a photo and yes its a jjig-saw.

I'll look at the tut to night and see if I can see .., err.., anything??

why dont you just move this to where someone who knows what they are doing can see it.

ill see you over there? if you do just answer., 'moving to...'

user added image

# 5 13-04-2007 , 02:39 PM
thanks to mike for moving this thread.

ok - i have a question - i have these two pieces that I want to attach - i can select the isoparms on one side and attach them, but how do I connect the other side?

do nurbs objects always have an open seam that isn't connected? Help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 13-04-2007 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
sorry mate, uni is right on top of me.., from my understaning nurbs have an open seam, called a closed curve. there is a way to 'close it'??? I saw it once or twice on a tut but I forget??

Ill check that disc tonight, might find something.., today is graduation day user added image I get my peice of paper

hope some one can help yu

# 7 13-04-2007 , 03:09 PM
congratulations mirek - go get yourself plastered!user added image

# 8 13-04-2007 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
Ive been wondering what to do.., good Idea, now thats a plan user added image

# 9 14-04-2007 , 02:15 PM
ok - think i figured it out in case...er... anyone is interested...

i used open/close surfaces and that seemed to do the trick.

# 10 14-04-2007 , 02:21 PM
Senior Software Developer
Arran,

Your NURBS Patch modelling is looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished result. Looks like a candidate for Mental Ray user added image.

Keep bangin on at it and it will work user added image. I have the Alias Modellign and Animation Book here and it covers NURBS Patch modelling, can't wait (NOT) lol.

l8rs

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 11 14-04-2007 , 02:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Nurbs patch modeling seems like going back to the stone age to me ..lol
You are doing great Arran and certainly have more patience than me.

# 12 14-04-2007 , 03:14 PM
ha ha - thanks for the encouragement guys - i'm getting there slowly!user added image user added image

yep - i've been playing with MR - too much in fact - i spend half my time waiting for it to render!

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 14-04-2007 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
got smashed, great fun, now is not so good user added image

open and close curves, you jogged my memory, thats exactly what the guy on the tut said, theres a lesson there for us all.., and.., Im going to have another strong coffee and a couple more pain killers :bandit:

user added image

why does that pencil look like its off the ground.., or is that just my vision?

# 14 14-04-2007 , 03:38 PM
yeah - i thought the pencil looked off the ground too, but actually it's not.

painkillers?? come on mirek - you have to take the pain head on!

# 15 14-04-2007 , 04:04 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by arran
yep - i've been playing with MR - too much in fact - i spend half my time waiting for it to render!

At least its not maxwell ur using, it would take at least 300hrs for that render.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)