Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 03-11-2007 , 04:21 AM

Originally posted by AikoWorld
i dont know if you are familiar with anime, but the japanese characters/drawings always have longer legs then human like characters.

sure, i know anime - i just still think the image looks weird. user added image

nice start on the city! how are you doing the reflections?

# 17 03-11-2007 , 06:00 AM
The reflections are on a simple plane with an ocean shader attached. The water will still need some tweaking in order to get the correct results.

Small update before I go to work.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 03-11-2007 , 02:50 PM
update on the city. Gonna have all of tomorrow to work on this so I hope to get the majority of the scene completed. Still a lot of buildings to add.

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 04-11-2007 , 03:10 AM
I am unsure if I am going about the lights in the best way. I am simply creating small objects and applying various shaders with different amounts of glow. If anyone knows better ways to go about this that will give better results please let me know.
I have also been working on the water to try and get the right look and don't think it is to far off now. Hopefully the buildings will look a lot better once they have some decent textures assigned.

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 04-11-2007 , 03:39 AM
this is coming along really fast - great job mate. i think you're going about the lights in the right way - you might want to play with the incandescence as well.

the water looks really good - well done! user added image

# 21 04-11-2007 , 03:41 AM
Cheers Arran much appreciated mate. I will keep working at the lights as I am and see how it all comes together.

# 22 05-11-2007 , 03:57 AM
Looking nice.

Keep it up

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 23 06-11-2007 , 08:26 PM
Haven't had much time to work on this since I have had a load of work come in that will keep me busy till january if I get it. Anyhow I have managed to make some time to get the scene pretty much done and just need to work on the textures now and tweak the lighting. The main part now is to finish Motoko, and get her ready to bring into the scene so I can get a decent render. Hopefully I will be able to make time to get this done soon.

Cheers,

Leon

Attached Images
# 24 06-11-2007 , 08:40 PM
Looking realyl good Leon, the ocean looks great with the cityscape there.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 25 06-11-2007 , 09:30 PM
Cheers gster much appreciated. Just brought the low res of Motoko in from zbrush to get an idea of the composition. Think I am going to need to do a bit of work on the pose but rekon things should start to come together once she is textured and I have sculpted in all the details. Still not sure how to go about the hair. At the moment it is just a poly object and was thinking about simply sculpting and texturing it to try and get a good result. When ever I have tried to use the maya hair system I have never been able to get anything remotely decent. I am currently using maya 8.5 and if any of you have any suggestions as to how to go about the hair it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 06-11-2007 , 09:36 PM
for long hair, I make a series of curves that make the hair style then lorf them as a nurbs surface then go as you would to insert lots of isorpams selecting the isoproams that are already there then create curves form selected, then I attach a hair system with a paint FX brush to the curves that have been made.

You can then mess about with the hair settings to get it looking like you want, and ifyou need to restyle it you just use adjust the nurbs surface, as the history will update the hair curves positions.

Just hide the nurbs surface at render time, you might need to render in passes as hair can really hammer your system

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 06-11-2007 , 09:51 PM
Thanks gster, I will give it a go once I have the pose set up and see if I can finally get some decent results.

# 28 10-11-2007 , 01:25 PM
Cheers for the tips gster. Finally managed to get something that resembles hair, although it still could do with some work.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 10-11-2007 , 04:18 PM
Not to far off now. Still need to texture the gun + need to work on her top in zbrush, and need to get those buildings textured as well.

Attached Images
# 30 10-11-2007 , 07:20 PM
Great work. Only thing that I don't quite like is the pose. She looks stiff, not natural. Try to get a more natural look for the pelvis and arms.