Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-04-2012 , 02:14 AM

Creating a Cartoon Rug/Carpet

I want to create a rug like the one seen here but im not sure whats the best way to model the creases and whats the best approach to creating the material/shader.

user added image

# 2 24-04-2012 , 02:20 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
the rug is most likely just texturing, the way I would do this would be to just make the basic model using a cylinder and then unwrap it and do everything via textures. There are a lot of different ways to do it though.

# 3 24-04-2012 , 02:22 AM
What do you think would be the best approach?

# 4 24-04-2012 , 02:29 AM
just to make a simple model of the shape of the rug you want, uv map it, and bring it to ps for textures.

# 5 24-04-2012 , 03:05 AM
when it comes to textures, i cant seem to find a proper cotton fabric texture like the one seen, and i'm not quite sure if it requires a bump or what.
thanks
Edward

# 6 24-04-2012 , 03:32 AM
check cgtextures.com and create a bump map or something from one of those photos, or you can check this out

https://www.antarasdiary.com/tutorial...t-three-steps/

its just a quick way to make a fabric texture in PS, you would have to make some adjustments to get it how you want it exactly, but its a good starting point.

Also if someone with more know how can chime in. This is just how I would do it, there could be better/easier/more efficient ways for all I know.

# 7 24-04-2012 , 03:35 AM
this tutorial will work great for the texture but there are 2 things that i still havent figured out

1. how can i add my own color pattern on top of that polyester/cotton texture?

2. notice how the carpet has little buttons/ bumps (dont know what they are called but if someone knows what they are called please tell me haha)... how can i replicate those?

thank you so much!

Last edited by eneuman; 24-04-2012 at 04:03 AM.
# 8 24-04-2012 , 04:17 PM
ok so i just made a cylinder, made the shader with a ramp and an embroided polyester texture. then added a smooth modifier for the creases

Last edited by eneuman; 24-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.
# 9 24-04-2012 , 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
By the look of the image, it seems like the artist ran a cloth sim not just for the blanket but probably for the rug as well. Though the rug isn't so complicated that you couldn't get away with sculpting a subdivided cylinder and throwing a planar projection on it and then taking that into Photoshop or whatever. The bumps could be made by the procedural cloth texture.

- Genny
# 10 24-04-2012 , 05:48 PM
yea the bumps or embroids are causing the problem right now because i cant find any textures with a spread out embroided pattern like that

# 11 24-04-2012 , 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
You might have to paint one up.

- Genny
# 12 25-04-2012 , 05:26 AM
Hey GecT, just out of curiosity, you could use a displacement map for the "bumps" in the cloth and a bump map for the texture of the rug right?But if you were trying to save space, could you make the "bump" and the texture part of the same file? Or would you have to make two separate files to accommodate the difference of the texture? (as far as a texture for the cloth texture and a bump for the "bumps" in the rug its self)

# 13 25-04-2012 , 06:07 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 14 25-04-2012 , 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hey GecT, just out of curiosity, you could use a displacement map for the "bumps" in the cloth and a bump map for the texture of the rug right?But if you were trying to save space, could you make the "bump" and the texture part of the same file? Or would you have to make two separate files to accommodate the difference of the texture? (as far as a texture for the cloth texture and a bump for the "bumps" in the rug its self)

Yeah you could use a displacemnt map for the waves in the rug but assuming he's using MR, that could be more trouble that it's worth. Also I think the displacement on the bottom has to correspond with whats on top to make the rug look like a thin wavey surface instead of some kind of big muffin top.

And If for example, the luminance from the color map gives you the right bump results then you're in luck, you can also use a remapValue node and pipe your texture into it, then run it's output into a single color ramp texture. That is somewhat tweakable and you can run that through some other color correction nodes if needed. Personally, I like fiddling with bump maps externally.

- Genny
# 15 26-04-2012 , 01:12 AM
according to the artist, the rug was made using a circular ramp and a cloth texture as a bump. what settings do i need to use to get that kind of bump using a cloth texture?
thanks!