Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-09-2013 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber

Mirror Geo in the Poly Plane Technique tutorial

I have a question from the Modeling Techniques tutorial where the instructor models the Jerry Can.
After modeling the front of the can and the weld we are supposed to mirror the geo so that the body of the can is complete (minus touch ups and polishing stuff). Now, when I go to mirror the Geo I seem encounter a problem. When viewing in "1 mode" the geo looks fine, but when I smooth it by pressing "3" there is a gap between the front and back of the can where it was mirrored. What could cause this?

Last edited by wellings; 30-09-2013 at 04:17 PM.
# 2 30-09-2013 , 05:06 PM
Lifetime Member
Your vertices on the joining edges may not have been on the same plane. Show us an image if you can mate?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 30-09-2013 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
I think I managed to fix it. I added in a few more edge loops where the mirroring takes place to tighten it up, and I had to tweak some of the mirror options. There is a SLIGHT crease now where the geo was joined but it's only visible if you get right in next to the edge. Thanks for the response though user added image