Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-10-2007 , 02:35 AM

Uneven render due to edge loops - solution?

Hi,

got an issue with edge loops creating surface unevenness on my renders. I've attatched images to illustrate. Since I plan to model the areas on the pull up bar where the parts are welded, I was addind the edge loops to allow me to merge verts once I combined the different parts.

What would be a solution to this?

thanks,

gubar.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-10-2007 , 02:36 AM
wire:

Edit: you can't see the wires on the cylinder on the bar's end, but the line up with those on the arm beneath it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-10-2007 , 02:42 AM
Lifetime Member
If you harden the normals that might clear it up.

Another option that sometimes can work is to convert it to a sub-d and then back to a poly object.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 03-10-2007 at 02:48 AM.
# 4 03-10-2007 , 02:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, in this case though, converting the shape to subdivision results in a sort of dagger shape, really rounds it out. And hardening the edges results in it looking very sharp (perhaps the shape is too simple, though that's what I was aiming for). I'll try adding a bevel,

cheers,

gubar.

# 5 03-10-2007 , 03:10 AM
Lifetime Member
It doesn't matter what it looks like as a sub-d because you are going to convert it back to a polygon object, just make sure you are at level 0 in sub-d when converting back ,then in the options of the convert sub-d to polygon menu select vertices then when you convert you will get your original polygon mesh back but it should have cleaned up the shading issues.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 03-10-2007 , 03:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Set your 'vertex normals' Under Edit Polygons>normals> set vertex normals /unlock.

Failing this set 'face normals' in the same menu set. put drop down to propagate

Jay