Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-05-2006 , 08:06 AM

Combine Software/Hardware Rendering?

Hi!

I have created a 100 frame animated scene in Maya and then I made a a Software Render on that (so I have 100 images on that render), and then I created a Hardware Render on the particles (sparks from a fire(100 frames)).

I know that you must use for example Adobe After Effects to combine these 2 renders to 1. The Hardware Renedered pictures only contains the sparks and a black background, but how am I supposed to put the sparks over the actual software rendered image?, the black color just covers everything... What am I supposed to do to make the black area on the image to be transparent, so that I can see the stuff below?

# 2 06-05-2006 , 12:49 PM
well you should have rendererd an alpha channel along with the sparks- why don't you go do that now?

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 06-05-2006 , 07:32 PM
how do I render an Alpha Channel then?

# 4 06-05-2006 , 08:45 PM
ummm... can't say I know how. I just know that's what you have to do :p

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 06-05-2006 , 09:51 PM
I'm not sure but I think to render an alpha channel, you need to render the object in render layer mode. which means you have to create a new layer under render mode for the object and just render the object seperately. other than that, i'm not sure on the rest.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 6 07-05-2006 , 10:30 AM
As you need two layers with different rendering engines you cant use the render layers option to render the object tehn the sparks.

As a default you should have rendered the Alpha channel, the check box is in the first tab of the render globals near the image type and camera selection.

Whan you import it into a compositing software it should detect it then use the alpha as a mask.

Have a look at the free compositing video on this site as it goes thorugh this very well.

Cheers