Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-09-2003 , 04:15 PM

Maya, after effects and dvds

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the process of making quality dvds from maya animations. Is there a particular size to render out to for tvs? Also, is it best to render out single frames or avi's? I just got after effects and i dont think it outputs dvd format so i'm going to have to get encore aswell( excuse my noobness ).
Also, if you have after effects, do you need premier? I mean, if you can put together a movie in after effects, what use is premier?
Sorry about heaps of questions, I just cant find the info on this stuff.
Thanks user added image
Kate

# 2 17-09-2003 , 04:57 PM
Well, in the states, tv resolution is 601 standard - D1 720x486.

After Effects is a compositing app first and foremost.
Lots of us use it for editing as well, as it is a familliar interface.

Premier is for editing shots that need to be strung/transitioned together as a final film.
It's up to you.

If you do more effects, and compositing, and output reletivly full shots that need little, if any editing, then After Effects would be fine.

PS, to output to DVD, there are many free, and not so free codecs out there for After Effects and Premier available for download.

DIVX is a VERY nice one.
www.divx.com

Also, depending on your video card, you may already have some Mpeg encoding capability (codecs) that came with your card.
I know the DV500 from pinnacle does this, not sure about others.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 18-09-2003 , 02:34 AM
Thanks, I'm just going to stick with ae for now. I just took a look at your website. Very nice user added image
Thanks again,
Kate

# 4 18-09-2003 , 04:13 AM
No problemuser added image

And thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com