Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-04-2015 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber

jaggy edges with misss fast skin shader in particular -antialiasing?

hi guys,

my object has really jaggy edges in the highlights in the render, even when on high quality settings, I'm going round in circles trying to solve it - at first i couldn't decide if it was the render settings or the sss material, or the light, or the object, or all of the above.

after testing the material in a new scene on a sphere I think it might be the sss making the jaggies more noticeable. So then I rendered my scene with a lambert and I can still see it in the highlights here, but its not quite as bad.

When I want to render high quality I usually turn up the quality to 1 and max samples to 200, but I have even tried the 'final frame exr' pre-setting and it still makes no difference. I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere I'm missing!

any help really appreciated!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-04-2015 , 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
It's likely that the highlights are so bright they exceeded a pixel value of 1 and have gone way beyond white. Spots that bright would actually be glowing so consider adding this in post. Another thing you could do is clamp the pixel values down to something more reasonable using an exposure lens.

- Genny
# 3 10-04-2015 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
ahh - thank you very much - it'll be tomorrow before i get a chance to play with it but I've just watched some tutorials on how to do that with exposure simple and the the mib lens clamp so hopefully this will sort it. I do plan to add some glow in post, but my tests just look cheesy so far!

# 4 10-04-2015 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
p.s. that glow in your jewels image in your cgs portfolio is very nice, did you use after effects?