Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 14-04-2007 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
thats the problem, I am meeting the pain head-on; lol

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 15-04-2007 , 05:05 AM
Subscriber
Nice work, Arran! Patch modelling spooks the hell out of me, but my instructor (been taking advanced Maya classes at NYU all this time) suggests I bite the bullet and learn it myself.

I guess the trick is that all the edges/isoparms match up. It is like a jigsaw puzzle!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 18 15-04-2007 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
yea in the tut the guy added one here and deleted one there, ect, as you say.., a jig saw puzzle

# 19 16-04-2007 , 05:46 AM
hey Lt Jim - long time - how goes the zeppelin?

yeah - I would just dive straight into it - they are kind of tricky at first, but the more you work on it the easier it gets. I would definitely advise working on something simple to begin with and also be prepared to remake stuff several times over.

# 20 08-05-2007 , 10:06 AM

# 21 08-05-2007 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
so is it true that nurbs patching is a thing of the past.., I mean efficacy is the goal?? the older crew seem to think nurbs IT, the younger seem to think 'no-one uses nurbs anymore' what do you reckon there Arron??

# 22 21-05-2007 , 02:55 AM

nice work arran

Nice work there m8, I guess at some point im gonna have to figure the whole nurbs thing out too user added image one question though-when are you gonna finish that cool dino wip you started a while back? I think you were modelling a steg if memory serves.
All the best m8

# 23 21-05-2007 , 07:57 AM
hey - thanks velociraptor1! I must admit that stegosaurus kind of got pushed to one side - i might just have to dig him out and see if i can't get him finished.

mirek - sorry mate - must have missed your post. yeah - it definitely seems as though nurbs are a 'bit take it or leave it'. I definitely think that you can do things with nurbs that you can't with polys and vice versa - sometimes i'll start making something with nurbs cos it's actually easier to get the basic shape and then convert - like for making a mouth or belly - if you start with nurbs it can really help get your edgeloops in the right place...anyway, sorry for the late reply. user added image