Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 27-05-2004 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber

I cheated....

Hi,
This is what I did with my fan while I waited for you to help me ..........

I Broke it !!!!

(I'm really glad I can do some more close up - intricate Nurbs now)
Thanks

user added image Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 28-05-2004 , 12:51 AM
Under the menu "Edit NURBS>Surface Fillet" there are 3 options (Circular Fillet, Freeform Fillet, Fillet blend Tool).
So "freeform fillet" is a type of surface fillet. So if I say freeform then I mean specificaly that kind, if I say just surface fillet then it might be any. Right now though, for all of this, I am only talking about the freeform fillet.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 18 28-05-2004 , 01:36 AM
I took some screenshots to show you what I meant when I sugested that stuff about making a smooth conection between the base and the column.

Attached Thumbnails

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 19 28-05-2004 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks again, yes I understand now. user added image
The way I did it In some of the other pictures I found by basicallly 'screwing round with it' untill it worked......

What I did was to...
(a) Select bottom of curve "column" using "surface point" and move it up the column a bit, then do "Insert Isoparms"
(b) Select the base part and do the same moving the "surface point" outwards this time before "Insert Isoparm"
(c) Then I shift selected bothe new Isoparms and did the "freeform fillet"
I tried the other 2 types of fillet but either got wierd results or an error.

I now see that yours is the method to use because you are getting rid of unrequired surfaces, whereas I had been leaving them "hidden".

I would also like to find out about the other types "Circular and Surface" filleting. (Also got my Birail Propellor to do yet)
I must admit I did pick this "Fan" subject to learn more Nurbs, but didn't think I could learn so much one just 1 object.

(Oh and I will be reading through that thread about 'gaps' although I have got rid of most now by increasing tesselation).

I will use your method and re-fillet the neck on the model, this is the model using my old [B] wasteful [B] method.

Regards and thanks, Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 28-05-2004 at 04:02 PM.
# 20 28-05-2004 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

Latest pic ....

I wondered what it would look like so far with a shader on,
and had an idea how to make the 'cage' so I did a little test with just a 'poorly detailed motor' and no fan etc ....

I am a bit dissapointed with how the cage looks, but for now will start looking at 'Birail' and do the 'Prop' before texturing it properly (Not looking forward to that in Nurbs) .....

Regards Scraggy user added image

[EDIT]
Hmmm- Just been looking at the "Boundary" tool, I may try that for the propellors. If not then the Birail.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 28-05-2004 at 10:33 PM.
# 21 28-05-2004 , 11:31 PM
that base is looking pretty cool :tup: