Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-05-2007 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber

subD attaching problem

Hey guys!

I tried a to mirror subDs and then attaching them. My problem is that by attaching the geometry i get little spaces between the two.
incresing the threshold just f***s up the mesh and the spaces are still there.
its not a display error cause i converted it to polys and looked at border edges.

i tried everything. from duplicating attaching.

converting into polys then combining and merging the verts. but then i get a little seam/hard edge in the middle.

any guess???

# 2 19-05-2007 , 12:33 AM
I'm sorry that I can't say much about SubD's; I've never used them.

However, for the latter part of your post, if all the merging goes well-and-good when you convert to polys, the hard edge can be adjusted be selecting the edges that make up the central "seam," and going to Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden -> Options Box (Maya 7.0).

Smaller numbers (down to 0) make the edges more harsh, defined and obvious; larger numbers (up to 180) smooth it out and make it look more refined.

For Maya 8.0...I'm not 100% certain (I don't use it), but the option is under the polygons menu set, and there are just simply two options in one of the menus; "make hard" and "make soft," or something like that. They're straightforward in what they do.

# 3 19-05-2007 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
thx for the reply but I figured it out.

mirror, attach. after that i switch to poly mode merge the vertices and everything was nice and smooth. after that i converted it into polys.

thx again.

Badger