Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-10-2007 , 07:45 PM

Flower In An Abandoned Room

I'm almost done with this scene, but I think it needs some more work. Any ideas? Jpeg...

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 18-10-2007 , 08:15 PM
i feel like your lighting needs a lot of work - there would be much more light coming through - i know your trying to get the light to focus on the object but there would still be a lot of lights coming through the rest of the window. also - what's with tthe blue light around the edge of the wall? - is that light seeping through?

also it looks as though your desk isn't casting a shadow.

# 3 19-10-2007 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
I like the window,

i agree lighting needs some tweeking.

nice job so far

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 19-10-2007 , 03:02 PM
Haven't thought of it until now but, would the blue spotlight be considered a rim light, or am I better off creating another light behind it for my setup?

I don't know why light is traveling through the corners of the wall though. I've never seen this happen before. There are no holes, so it shouldn't be happening at all. I don't know what to do about it.

Oh, and the desk was floating.user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 19-10-2007 at 03:06 PM.
# 5 19-10-2007 , 03:23 PM
Added some more light to the scene. It doesn't look so abandoned anymore though. I probably have to add in some old dusty stuff. Still can't fix the corners for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 19-10-2007 , 03:34 PM
I might use particles to simulate dust or somethin.

# 7 19-10-2007 , 04:28 PM
I dont quite understand what that blue light is...? Is that supposed to be moon light? Looks more like a laser... if it's a moon light it should be much less blue and noway near as sharp.

# 8 19-10-2007 , 04:54 PM
i still think there needs to be more light coming through the window. I know you want to have a ray of light shining on the table, but there would still be rays of light shining through the rest of the window as well. and yeah, i definitely agree with DJbLAZER - it wouldn't be so blue or as sharp.

# 9 19-10-2007 , 05:17 PM
Thanks for the crits. I softened the lights some.

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 19-10-2007 , 05:44 PM
A bit better... however you should think of how the lighting should look if it's just moon light. I made a quick render, I think you sohuld go after something like this... + the light beams.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 19-10-2007 , 05:49 PM
i'm a bit confused - is that supposed to be a hole in the window that the light is shining through...or is it supposed to be the moon?

either way - the ray of light seems to be going beyond the window as well (towards the sky) - which doesn't make much sense. sorry if I'm reading this wrong... user added image

# 12 20-10-2007 , 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how you got that noise effect on the light but I'll try something out. My light setup was done with area lights and a point light for that one beam. I fixed many of the problems that seemed to be in the room, but I don't know how to get that circle off of the window. It came from the spotlight that I used to get the light into the room. Maybe it's the texture, or something?

Whats the best image format for posting btw? I use jpeg, but it doesn't look as good as the render.

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 20-10-2007 , 04:28 PM
Jr.Who
Wow, that’s definitely much better. I wouldn’t save straight from Maya as a JPEG, if I were you. I seem to get better results when saving as a PNG, then bringing it into PS, and turning it into a JPEG. PNGs have great quality and are a small size, while JPEGs are small yet pretty bad quality.
user added image

# 14 20-10-2007 , 04:31 PM
Heres my setup for the stain glass. I just used a ramp node for the transparancy.

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 23-10-2007 , 12:57 PM

Nice

Try increasing the window's transparency. That should take care of the light beam visible from outside the window.

The hole in the window looks bad... I'd keep the bars on the outside in one peace (Edit: separate the glass and the bars to different objects), and try to make it look like broken glass (with sharp corners, loose glass shards etc).
Keep working on it...
Benny