Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-11-2007 , 05:33 AM
Subscriber

Time consuming renders questions

Hey guys,

Well as some of you may know, i am going to get my new computer sometime this week, so i wanna compare it to my older computer. Anyone wanna share some light with me about, how to totally increase the minutes/hours of renders.

Such as like adding final gather and bumping it up to 100,000 , or have 100,000 photons emitting from light. I wanna try something crazy such as something which would take around 30mins-2hours of rendering time if possible.

Also if you know a place, or would provide me with a big large render file that would be good user added image

Thanks again,

Marlon

# 2 17-11-2007 , 06:05 AM
Yeah you can have my Gibson Les Paul model and crank up the photons!

Edit or a character with hair, render it in mantal ray single shot and it will crach your PC (as your on 32 bit)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 17-11-2007 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
abmient light and crank up the radius and the raytracing

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 17-11-2007 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
steve, you still got that old heap of a guitar hanging around.., when the hell you going to learn to play it user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 18-11-2007 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
@ Steve - Yeah i might just try grab it off you once i get the new computer if you don't mind. Also what were them specs, that you rendered it with last time? HOPE it wont crash :p

@ Solomon - Cool, thanks ill add that to my list user added image

# 6 19-11-2007 , 03:39 PM
19 year Veteran
marlonjohn, your not approaching the FG/GI process in a reasonable manner. You shouldn't want to use it for the sake of a long render. I try to avoid long render times as much as possible. But if you must then---- really heavy scenes will increase render times quite a bit. Any high setting will increase a render time. The down side is that an exaggerated setting may cause unnexpected results or a bad quality render. I suggest learning the application better, then compare results with your old PC.

Just my 2 cents mate. user added image