Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-11-2007 , 12:50 AM

December (Character Model.)

Started this on friday. Its sunday night and I'll be test rigging her right away. She looks ok to me, if anyone can incorect anatomy let me know plz. This is just the low poly I plan to make a posed version and to add some kind of wardrob.

Edit: LOL this picture is funny

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by wokendreams; 08-12-2007 at 11:34 AM.
# 2 26-11-2007 , 01:15 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking pretty good,

At lo-res you can't really judge anatomy (as there is not enough Geo to model it) the only thing that you can go on, is proportions. Also this is what you should be aiming for when modeling in lo-res... you have to constantly ask yourself are my arms in correct proportion to my legs? Is my head at the correct width and hight, and scaling to my body?.... and so on.

Your, modeling seems very good, though i have to say allot of the proportions are off, and tough they may only be slightly off, it's still good to get on top of these now, and thus helping you learn for the future. :nod:

Proportions:

The shoulders should be an equal distance away from the body as the Hips are.

The top half needs to be scaled up more, and the head should be less wide.

Thats pretty much it. (from what i see)

You just pretty much need to scale up the top half, and tweak a few areas.

Heres an idea... Google search "Womans proportions" and in the image results there should be an image called "Perfect woman" This will give you an idea of what to aim for, oh and don't worry the image is blurred in certain areas, and if your at work or somewhere public... make sure safe search is on user added image

I look forward to seeing her clothed, and Rigged.

Mayaniac user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 26-11-2007 , 02:13 PM
Great stuff. Thanks, on to test rigging and editing for me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-11-2007 , 04:59 PM

Update

Ive tweaked the mesh as much as i can. I wanted to see how far I could take it with topology alone. Ive used a fair bit of tris in tring to make muscle structure priority in terms of geometry. No n gons I don't think as the pinch, I may have a couple that I haven't found. Any way Making the Hair now, as the geometry moves and deforms well. I'm still going to sculpt out finer details but she is going to wear a brassier, very short amour skirt, arm bands, and a longer fabric skirt. So i dont think I'll need to detail all of her. Although I may when this concept is done. Tell me what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 01-12-2007 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
if this is a low poly model there's no reason to polysmooth it. I'd optimize it a lot more as there are a lot of edgeloops put in there that do nothing but maintain quads. If it's not a low poly model you should try and focus more on the edgeflow.

as far as proportions go, her navel is still far too low - which offsets the balance between upper body and lower body. Take a look at more reference and notice its spatial relationship between the top of the hips and bottom of the ribs.
On the subject of the ribcage, it looks too constricted. Which is contributing to her looking very top-heavy and her bust-size too large. I think another issue with the relationship between shoulders<->hips are the hips though. The hip-bone itself doesn't look like it's making an appearance. Usually the hipbone is more bold than what you've got going on in here. Also, the arms are really tiny, take a look at more reference. And remember that women still have a trapezius, it's just not usually as beefed up as in men. The shoulders look out-of place without the back of the neck having that form. Hard to say much else at the moment, though.

I wouldn't worry about rigging yet, bash out the poly flow and form a little stronger and then you can get to rigging and animation. keep it coming user added image

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 02-12-2007 at 12:29 AM.
# 6 01-12-2007 , 05:41 PM
Thank you for your help. I've tried to include all of your advice. Please tell me what you think and i'll do some more work on the hair till then.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 02-12-2007 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
hey this is already looking better, although there are still a few things I'd change. The most disorienting thing to the form is the hip size. While some women do indeed have small hips, it looks strange as it stands.

I did a paintover of some of the stuff I think you should change to achieve a slightly more natural look. Things like beefing up the neck just a little bit, lowering the bust a tad, lengthening and beefing up the arms, widening the hips, and overall keep in mind the interesting forms. no forms on the body are perfectly straight or anything. It looks like you're going slightly stylized, based on the leg size and ratios you've used. If that's so, I might push the forms even more. An interesting silhouette is always an important factor.

keep it up, man user added image

# 8 02-12-2007 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
ugh sorry, forgot to attach...

Attached Images
# 9 02-12-2007 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
Very nice of you Funky. Great advice.

# 10 02-12-2007 , 05:13 AM
This is what I've done based on your advise. I think it was a great comment so i tried to stick with it. the breasts are lower but i noticed in your paint over they had slightly less volume. I'm on the fence on that I may still make them more standard as in your paint over. Anyway I'm sure you can see the changes so I'll leave out the play by play.

It is a stylized model, I want something to match a fantasy style set up. I want to maintain believability though so nothing should be exaggerated. Also Ive left some detail a little shallow to leave myself the option to smooth later. Originally I set it up with deep lines but when I was done I thought to do a test with smooth, it looked dreadful so now its a compromise.

I'm hoping to get the set up done and do some video of her doing magic. I've been learning to use the partial systems and have some ideas.

Thanks to Funky Bunnies. Anyone who has any further crits please share and I'll do my best.

Attached Images
# 11 08-12-2007 , 10:51 AM
This is just the foot. I've tweaked more of her to get her proportion right. When Ive got the foot on I'll put up another screen.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 08-12-2007 , 11:07 AM
Full Body in Vector. Never done vector so I'm sure I can get it better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 08-12-2007 , 03:26 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The proportions look good, but i can't really see much. The vector Render is not to clear.

If your trying to Render a WireFrame on shaded Just UV map your character, and then take a UV snapShot and apply that to your Character.

Or you could just take a view port Screen Grab.

Looking good user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 14 08-12-2007 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
yeah I hate how it triangulates it all. You can avoid this by selecting the model and hardening the normals, then setting the vector renderer to do 'outlines' rather than the 'entire mesh'. That way it'll only outline each polygon. Another way is a viewport screengrab, or mentalray's contour renderer.

Anyway, from what I can tell, it looks like the proportions are a lot better. I think some unnecessary edge spacing right around the pants line which could be used more effectively if spaced out more. Sorry, I'm still confused if this is a low poly model or not.
But it's looking a lot better. Keep it up user added image

# 15 08-12-2007 , 09:43 PM
Weither or not to make her low polly is something that is difficult for me to decide. I am self taught so my direction comes from lots of reading and testing. She will be a centre piece for my show reel. I will spend as much time as I need to make it right.

Rather than try and explain why I'm going the way I'm going with polly count I will go read untill I know what I'm saying. Then I wont be play the fool. If you have any suggestions on how to proceed with a center piece for a show reel please post.

I'll see about a better render. I want I nice wire render method and I read funkies post somewhere about vector, so I went and tried. So far I like it more than screenies and UV snapshots don't look good I don't think.