Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-01-2008 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
sorted the graphics card.., the driver of course

anyway.., started another asset and ill show it here..,

im sure no-one is interested in a palm leaf

before anyone says.., tuts ect.., ive noticed a lot happens between chapters but..,

i like the tuts here on SM because kurt and others give a blow by blow..., leaving nothing out

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 19-01-2008 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber
as i said, im working on two different sets.., the beach one is first but pretty tedious (plants and repetitive boring work) . BUT, fyi, the size of the scene is important .., this is why the the three ground planes.., and the large scene size.., the reason is paralex. there will be a volcano in the far distance.., the far ground plane, constructed from a displacement map and converted into geometry. panning from the beach the palms tree will move some .., the volcano less.., this is paralex and it is what sells a 3D scene. scale is all important.., in a space outer space scene some guys are using maya at 100,000 feet (though it is not recommended past 20, 000 risking a crash) to get the correct paralex.., even then it has to be cheated with a slight camera pan. (photogrammetry can cheat it better but thats another story)

ill get this island up here soon.

Last edited by mirek03; 19-01-2008 at 02:13 PM.
# 18 19-01-2008 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
the moment .., well what ever.., a palm tree.., deceptively complicated

Attached Images

# 19 19-01-2008 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber
more palm trees.., and a painted island

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 20-01-2008 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber
its beginning to look like 'something'.., yea, to those who said this was a steep learning curve.., yea.., i bow down.., 4 years of film and english.., one year of multimedia (in MY uni.., im sure theres better) .., it didnt prepare me for THIS difficulty.., but at least i understand composition and lights.., POV ect.., but this set dressing is boring and tedious.., unless it was a real project (money and team user added image and it would be incredible.

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 20-01-2008 , 12:51 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking ship shape mirec03,

The palm trees are looking pretty sweet, though the grass seems too long compared to the trees, though, on the flip side.. I guess this uninhabited tropical island doesn't have a care taker user added image

Maybe a bit more variation in the trees them selfs wouldn't hurt.
Maybe make some smaller, Taller, Fatter, thinner.... More natural.

Other than that this is coming along nicely.

I don't think I have it in me to model an entire Island.... Though, I don't think my computer could handle such an extensive scene anyway!

Good luck user added image

P.S. I love the little truck!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 20-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
# 22 20-01-2008 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
making changes.., on the phone atm, but this is another effort

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 20-01-2008 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
Mayaniac, yo, yea, the grass.., it all has to match.., this is one hell of a jig-saw.., domino game.., one thing matches with one thing that effects something else. I didnt think it would be that hard.., the easiest is the assets.., though the palm leaves were a killer..??

the puter is having a little trouble.., but its OK.., this is the PC.., i think the Mac would be better.., but here i am on this one. 2 gig of RAM and a dual core 5200 by 2, the graphics card seems a little overwhelmed at times.., especially in foot.., anything over 300-400 foot. the fix is usually just click the 4 view and then back to perspective.., but today i was getting a black perspective that wouldnt go away.., had to restart.., no crashes though.

anyway..,

catch yu user added image

# 24 21-01-2008 , 02:03 AM
Good dream and good style, I'll be back.user added image keep it up!

# 25 21-01-2008 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
lealar; i think you have delved into my inner me., i probably want to live there.., i nearly bought a ticket to Vietnam 2 days ago..., really.., cheap fares.., so.., i wonder..,

anyway.., thanks user added image

have to be on set in an hour (location sound) .., so i dont think there will be much as far as updates for 3 days! user added image

# 26 21-01-2008 , 11:28 PM
That's wonderful, maybe a good travel for your design. little crazy man, but I like you and your dream.

user added image

# 27 24-01-2008 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
a quick play around.., new sand, waves.., rocks floating in the air.., ect.., fog.., bad grass.., ect

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 24-01-2008 , 04:54 AM
The waves look too uniform. It looks more like a carpet right now but the rest is looking good.

# 29 24-01-2008 , 05:47 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I agree, the water does look like a carpet.

Other than that, It's looking good!

Maybe crank up the contrast a bit.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 30 24-01-2008 , 06:29 AM
well maybe when he said it was gonna be a set, it was gonna be for dolls or puppets! then carpet waves would work!

Accept no substitutions.