Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-11-2002 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber

Maya 4.5 Books?

I was on Amazon and there they had 5 books for 4.5... (none are published yet) and I was wondering which do you think will be a good one to get?

they had:

Maya 4.5 Savvy (With CD-ROM) $42

Inside Maya 4.5 $41.99

The Maya 4.5 Handbook (with CD-ROM) $34.97

Maya 4.5 Fundamentals $34.50

Maya 4.5 for Windows and Macintosh: Visual QuickStart Guide $15.39

I know I'm not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but I will now since they are not out yet..user added image
so I got my eye on Maya 4.5 Fundamentals

so what do you guys think?

-Emo

# 2 21-11-2002 , 01:03 AM
I think Kbrown recommended me the Maya 4.5 Savvy ...
He knows what he´s talking about so .. I would recommend that one too. user added image

# 3 21-11-2002 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber

# 4 21-11-2002 , 08:01 AM
Quite many of the older books aren't obsolete even if they were written for older maya versions. You may not be able to follow them exactly step-by-step but if you understand the principles of the method in question you can adapt the idea to 4.5.

I recently purchased Maya: Secrets of the Pros. Very good book. It's not a newbie guide and not even a step-by-step tutorial guide but it talks about different technics and concepts in an interesting way. Every chapter is written by different Maya master. For example Habib Zargarpour (hope I spelled that right) talks about particle effects created for the Perfect Storm movie.

*correction*
There are some hands on tutorials in the book, but what I meant was that they don't go through every single step that a newbie would except...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 21-11-2002 at 10:09 AM.
# 5 21-11-2002 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kbrown

*correction*
There are some hands on tutorials in the book, but what I meant was that they don't go through every single step that a newbie would except...

not sure what you mean, but some newbies (at least me) get really annoyed if the book tells me (for the 100th time already) to hit [space] for the hotbox, then move your finger 3 inches to the left 1/2 inch up to press the key on your keyboard labeled with a big letter "D" resembling the "duplicate with transform". then left click there, shift left click there instead of just saying to select both things.

books especially for newbies should tell me, that maya can let you set a key for everything - i just need to make it keyable - but then, in the same way i can make standard keyable attributes NOT keyable any more if i dont want to mess with it accidentally. that is help, but this is considered for ppl to know who already found out that this is possible by themselves maybe ...

# 6 21-11-2002 , 11:37 AM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 7 21-11-2002 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kbrown
Umm...take a look at these sample chapters and see for yourselves:
https://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf/...e?OpenDocument

wow i want that book. that is exactly as a newbie needs it. some text that explains things without getting into too much detail, only where it is necessary to understand. :banana:

# 8 21-11-2002 , 12:38 PM
I'd say it's not for total newbies but for newbies wanting to advance to the intermediate level. So in that sence I guess you're right BabyDuck user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB