Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-09-2009 , 04:24 PM
Is this hero main ?
Is it a side creature... depends...

I use about 3k or less for creatures.

For next gen is about 10k Triangles.

The map for some MMOS are 512x512 but for some other games they use 1024x1024... Everything depends on the engine!
The engine set the poly count and the maps size...

# 17 10-09-2009 , 04:26 PM
Yeah, 20k really isn't what they usually use, 10k is pretty standard, as far as I know environments are around about the quarter of a million mark or just over.
Give it a few years and characters will be at 50k and environments topping half a million, that'll be fun!

Also I was quoting main characters as that's what this challenge is all about, so it'd be a bit lower for secondary characters.

# 18 10-09-2009 , 04:30 PM
The Nurb Herd
its cool, i'll set myself the limit of 25k... its next gen after all! user added image

# 19 10-09-2009 , 04:32 PM

Originally posted by hammer.horror
its cool, i'll set myself the limit of 25k... its next gen after all! user added image

Haha, yeah, with the way my characters are going it'll be NEXT NEXT gen.....lol

My smiler is at just over 26k, so it could be slightly reduced I guess, but then, it's not actually for a game, so I won't! lol!

# 20 10-09-2009 , 04:47 PM
You are living now not in the future so for now standart is 10k-12k nothing more. In future we may be able to make it 100000k so am i suppose to do a character with 1milion just to keep it 50 years from now so i can be next gen :p

Just pointing out my understanding ...

Good luck to all!

p.s This time i will texture my model!!!!:bandit:

# 21 10-09-2009 , 05:06 PM
True Coldwave, just want to point out one thing though,

In the next few years ( say a maximum of 5 or so) there could well be another step up in consoles, a next next gen, which would go along the lines of far more processing power, so for someone like me who's only just started in 3d, I don't think there's anything wrong of thinking ahead, it'll take a couple of years to get the knowledge and practice needed so by then I'll be on par with the current technology.

If I was close to working in the industry now I'd agree to stay with as low poly as possible, but I think preparing for the future is a bit of a better idea for now, just takes some logical thinking to work out what poly limits will be in the not too distant future. 5 years isn't a long time after all, and time does fly by as you get older! lol

Just my opinion mate, I don't know what path of 3d I'd like to pursue yet anyway so poly limits are a side concern for me at the moment.

# 22 10-09-2009 , 05:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
ok, gonna aim for 15k or less.

# 23 10-09-2009 , 06:14 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think people aim to much at getting a maximum amount of poly's in their character here user added image
Thing is you have to model as efficient as possible even in next next gen if you can do a character with 6000 tris don't make it 8000.
And Hammer if you are really making a gamecharacter try doing a retopology workflow;
-make basemeshes in maya( do a quick uv mapping)
-go to ZBrush/mudbox for high detailing
-go to maya import a midres model back into maya and make a lowresscage of the midress model(I use DRAster tools from Nex it has a great "make live"tool which makes it very easy to draw over de midress creating a efficient lowpoly character then do a proper uv mapping and bake the normal map with a tool called XNormal (very good tool it makes better normal maps and easier then ZBrush and can handle more poly's then Maya)

# 24 10-09-2009 , 06:37 PM
can you give us NEX too user added image i don't have cash to buy it :p :p :p :p

# 25 10-09-2009 , 08:15 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by mastone
I think people aim to much at getting a maximum amount of poly's in their character here user added image
Thing is you have to model as efficient as possible even in next next gen if you can do a character with 6000 tris don't make it 8000.
And Hammer if you are really making a gamecharacter try doing a retopology workflow;
-make basemeshes in maya( do a quick uv mapping)
-go to ZBrush/mudbox for high detailing
-go to maya import a midres model back into maya and make a lowresscage of the midress model(I use DRAster tools from Nex it has a great "make live"tool which makes it very easy to draw over de midress creating a efficient lowpoly character then do a proper uv mapping and bake the normal map with a tool called XNormal (very good tool it makes better normal maps and easier then ZBrush and can handle more poly's then Maya)

i did say "or less" so i will aim for less. user added image

that workflow sounds very convoluted, I'll stick to what i know. user added image
I've never intended to work in games and they are not really something i know much about. I just thought it would be quicker as i only really have this weekend and then its here and there from then on.

# 26 10-09-2009 , 09:53 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i did say "or less" so i will aim for less. user added image

that workflow sounds very convoluted, I'll stick to what i know. user added image
I've never intended to work in games and they are not really something i know much about. I just thought it would be quicker as i only really have this weekend and then its here and there from then on.

The polycount thing was a general remark as I hear people shouting ridiculous polycounts like 10K as far as i know A 6/7 K polycount is acceptabel for a maincharacter nowadays.

And a retopology workflow is something you can use in a postproductionsetting aswell since my guess is that when you guys animate you want an efficient model for animating aswell.
The big plus for a retopo workflow to me is that you can make a "stickman" in Maya and completely build a character in ZBrush (It is a lot quicker when it comes to shaping and reshaping in zbrush) and when your done decide think about an eficient edgeflow for animation without worrying to much about the character looks and so on.

But does as you like of course it's only a suggestionuser added image

# 27 10-09-2009 , 10:02 PM

Originally posted by mastone
The polycount thing was a general remark as I hear people shouting ridiculous polycounts like 10K as far as i know A 6/7 K polycount is acceptabel for a maincharacter nowadays.

I got that info from a sybex book on game creation using Maya, the word ridiculous isn't quite the right one....
You can use a less poly model, there's nothing wrong with doing so,but why would you when technology allows you to use more just as easily, and you can even make the smaller details better allowing for close up shots etc?

A larger poly count only allows for more freedom in my opinion, but then once again it's only my opinion and I am quite new to 3d so may quite well be wrong! lol

I just don't like being restricted in creativity! (Maybe game modelling just isn't for me...haha)

# 28 10-09-2009 , 10:44 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, I don't really know much about low poly, but I think if you are restricted to lower poly numbers, you will be forced to be efficient and precise and poorly constructed meshes won't let you use each poly in the best spot, if that makes any sense.

If you're free to throw a ton of polys around, you'll be more likely to have a sloppy mesh... I guess it's analogous to... well I can't really think of anything at the moment, but if you learn low poly well, you'll be better at higher res?

Feel free to contradict me and abuse my post user added image

# 29 11-09-2009 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber
*throws rocks at sqwerts post* TAKE THAT POST :angery:

no i'm kidding of course. it's like being everything you want as a little kid... you grow up spoilt and weak and unable to do anything yourself, whereas if you have to work for stuff or you have limited resources you find ways of using them efficiently... actually i think i started mixing multiple analogies together...

texture/bump/normal/displacement maps solve a lot of the details issues anyway
not sure how much of a performance hit they have actually, but considering they are favoured over actual verts they must be better?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 11-09-2009 at 01:29 AM.
# 30 11-09-2009 , 10:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
to maybe help people out who don't completely understand the premise of this challenge, some examples of existing serial adventure heroes are:

Buck Rogers
Zorro
Flash Gordon
Dick Tracy
Lara Croft
Nathan Drake
The Rocketeer
The Three Musketeers
The Shadow
The Phantom
The Green Hornet
Indiana Jones
The Lone Ranger
Doctor Who
James Bond
Malcolm Reynolds
Sherlock Holmes
Dirk Pitt
Robin Hood
Snake Plisskin
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Rick O'Connell
The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood western hero)

Just to name a few...