Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-01-2010 , 11:47 PM

newbies briefcase rig

Hi all

Im trying to make a briefcase and i have some questions. This is the first thing ive tried to rig so bear with me. Ill say what im thinking of doing and then maybe people can correct me or point me toward a better approach. Im sure theres a more thorough way but for about 30frames of animation im happy with a basic solution

First i make the geometry and then a two joint system. I dont limit the joints in XYZ. I parent the case handle to the top joint and the suitcase body to the second joint.

When the hand grabs the case i parent the top joint to a locator in the hand. This way i have freedom to animate the case in XYZ from either of the joints yet everthing will follow the hands motion. Also any top joint motion will be inherited by the joint below right? The locator in the wrist is contrained to the wrist curve controller

Any problems with this?

Many thanks

David

just as an add on, (above seems to work ok so far) i was hoping to use ZV parent to switch the briefcase on to the locator in the wrist. I think i might have to do it manually but i wonder where the Weight values can be adjusted. I have the joint (handle) parented to the locator in the wrist but i dont see a Shape where i can change a Weight value from 1 to 0. Should I be constraining the joint to the locator instead or parenting. Not quite sure what the difference is yet.

and theres the whole issue of retiming animation with constraint keys..basically in terms of workflow im not sure when i should be locking down my constraints. after blocking plus when the timing is solved and any small changes in the keys and be copied across into the constraints.

30 mins later...constraining the joint to the locator in the wrist is having stange effects like the case flying off.

Last edited by davidparle71; 21-01-2010 at 03:25 AM.