Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-10-2015 , 07:39 PM
EduSciVis-er

Mesh Cleanup does nothing

I've got a peculiar problem where the Mesh > Cleanup is being completely ineffective. I have a mesh with some bad areas that I know have tris and ngons, but the Cleanup tool returns nothing.

Whether I select 4-sided faces, Faces with > 4 sides, Non-manifold geo, it all results in no faces being selected. The quadrangulate command also does nothing, although weirdly if I triangulate the mesh and then quadrangulate, it does try to fix the ngon areas.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2015 , 07:51 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, I discovered that the mesh actually had a couple of tiny face islands (it was a ZBrush export). Mesh > separate and deleted those, and I thought that would fix it, but it didn't. I'm in the same boat. Any other potential problems that might be hindering this? I feel like cleanup is the exact tool I need to be using to discover the problems the mesh has, but it's hanging me out to dry.

# 3 29-10-2015 , 08:04 PM
The thin red line
Try the add divisions to face, select as object exponentialy set to 1 and quads, this will add faces to all your mesh...............dave

# 4 29-10-2015 , 08:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hmm, that's not exactly what I'm wanting. I ended up getting reliable results with the "Polygon Selection Constraint on Faces" tool, which you brought my attention to in another thread. Choose Next Selection and Nsided, and I was able to clean it up by hand, which is tedious, but will give a better result.