Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 21-07-2006 , 12:34 AM
it's all good and that's good news man :attn:, btw when you get that demp reel finished i gotta see it because when ever someone posts one i check it out user added image. lol i get you and we'll see you just take your time hehe but i'll be looking forward to it.

# 17 21-07-2006 , 08:50 AM
Subscriber
sure you can see it but i never followed a tutorial or any thing i just slaped my video's and photo's together >>click me<< and i hope your robot is fast nightz, hey does any one eles wanna join in, i can kick all of your behinds just creat a robot and post it here

# 18 25-07-2006 , 05:34 AM
sorry abotu not replying sooner, I've been busy lately but i like your demo reel great job user added image and i remember that scene with the moon and trees, didn't you have it in the wip forum? oh it's fast haha, those engine wouldn't be there for nothin user added image and yeah other shhould join in it would be fun hehe :attn: .

# 19 25-07-2006 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
okay nightz, sorry couldnt answer sooner. i just got back from holiday and have been working out myself. but hey iam back.

so anyway..
i really like the model. and cool you also added the oct arms. i wonder what tadpole next model update or weapon will be??

i can kick all of your behinds

ummm well perhaps so but i'd say maybe nightz can do yours with half his mech A.I. tied behind his back.. hehe jk.
and a name... well actually the first name that came up was "Mechausarus". cuz i was thinking of dinosarus the prievious day and perhaps have some sort of likeness to it. after all your mech is big. so i thought it'll be cool. but others also came to my mind like, Semi - Monster, 4 Legged Crab Stampers, Octo-Pod-Killer, Mean Machine. and whole lot of other dumb ones. i came up with a suggestion. but its not like you have to do it. its your model after all. in the pic that i uploaded there are red circles. i think you should add some detail there cuz its rather plain/empty. add something like a laser gun or wires or boosters or whatever. well thats all i have to say for now.. i'll be waiting for a reply.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 20 26-07-2006 , 07:47 AM
Subscriber
thats for looking at the reel, most college student have never seen 3d software so even my reel means i'm better than every one eles, hehe my robot rocks it's friggin huge,is your robot metal of graphite or sumin like that?

shouldnt this be moved to the battle arena?

Last edited by tadpole3159; 26-07-2006 at 01:14 PM.
# 21 26-07-2006 , 06:59 PM
woei very nice i love it :p also how did you get the vector render so nice?

Also can you tell me how you made and rigged the tentacles?

Last edited by pixelsoul; 27-07-2006 at 05:47 PM.
# 22 28-07-2006 , 08:55 AM
sorry i couldn't get to everyone sooner but i've been a little busy hahah.

13th resident: hope you had an enjoyable time user added image, lol i should animate it just to show some of the things it could do and i like octo pod killer lol, i'm not good with names thats why none of my models have any. hmmm soem boosters will e good but rockets also haha and some type of reactive armor or something lol but i'll put something right there asap user added image.

tadpole: top of your class that's great user added image, my robot is huge too haha and it's got gundanium alloy lol! j/p but it's made of metal neo titanium muhahaha. should this be moved to the battle arena?

pixel soul: thanks and i used the mesh gradient with include edges for the outlines and it took about 3 hours for a single frame lol which is waaaay long compared to the others only taking about 3 mins lol. for the tentacles i used nurbs torus for each of those metal joint parts then converted them into poly's and smoothed them to get a smoother look and some sculpting in poly's then i used a cyclinder with subdivisions around axis 20 and subdivisions along height 50 and made it longer in scaling to give the arm more articulation or the arm wouldn't bend right and the cyclinder is the purple part you see in the arm, i lengthened the cyclinders to match the length of the arm then i jointed each one of those metal joint parts from end to end and used ik handles with ikscsolver in the solver attributes for twist and i didn't go joint to joint with the ik handles, just from one end then the other end instead of joint to joint which would be hell animating but will give you more control but i wanted it so that it could bend when i push it back but im not good at explaining lol as you can see but i tried if you didn't get anything let me know user added image.

# 23 29-07-2006 , 03:30 AM

# 24 29-07-2006 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
grrrrrrr...stop upgrading the friggin robot, i have scraped 3 arms and weapons already!!!:headbang:

# 25 04-08-2006 , 04:41 AM
lol i think the boosters will probally be the last upgrades for me and i'm working on another robot for a sort animation fighting against it to show what it can do but i've been busy and havnn't had much time but i will get right to it though the frames will take some time haha and i will probally animate it in xsi once i get used to it because i see it's good for animation and it doesn't slow down like maya after so many poly's so i will be able to work faster but first imma finish the boosters up in maya and the other robot for the animation.

# 26 04-08-2006 , 12:30 PM
wow thats amazing!! you made taht with maya :O i wanna learn how to make things like that.. that would be awesome!user added image user added image :bow: :bow:

# 27 05-08-2006 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber
hey you thought i have forgot about this did'nt you. i was making millions of robot to kill you but they just would fall at your robots feet in the 1st round until i though of this:attn:
user added image
user added image
so what do you think, ne needs legs and a top of the mouth but then it's the easy textureing bit. i read a few tut's on textures and i'm getting much better at them, weapons are...

like i would tell hehe :attn: have fun with your animation

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 05-08-2006 , 02:27 PM
WOW very nice.. put some colour on it and smackbang user added image

# 29 06-08-2006 , 05:15 AM
hkorenaruto: thanks user added image and it shouldn't take you long, just try your best and you got it user added image.

tadpole: lol i thought you'd come back with a killer robot hehe and i've been through a couple robots myself to counter yours haha but i'm down to two choices which you will see one soon user added image, haha i never been good at texturing so i don't even try but yeah he needs legs unless he hovers but if not then he good as scrap metal lol, i'm looking forward to your weapons hehe user added image.

# 30 06-08-2006 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
scrap metal hey, he's gonna eat you for breakfast (hence the big mouth) YOUR GOIN DOWN! :rant:
oh and here is PART of his new engine
user added image

Last edited by tadpole3159; 06-08-2006 at 03:38 PM.