Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-11-2010 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber

Steam Tank

Hi, folks...it's been a long time since I've posted anything, but having built a new computer I'm back! Anyway, here are a couple of pieces I've completed over the past several months...the first is a steam tank (or more accurately a land cruiser, as it is about 100' long)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 18-11-2010 , 04:58 PM
SM Tea Boy
nice love the idea of a steam tank user added image

Looking good so far.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 18-11-2010 , 05:34 PM
The Nurb Herd
is the steam a 2d effect?
I'd suggest changing the camera and having a few different angles and lenses.
you could do some close ups if the texture is large enough.

# 4 18-11-2010 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
HammerHorror, Thanks!

David, yes the steam is VERY 2D (and sloppy quick, as I just wanted an effect). The whole thing is rigged (ie treads, guns, turrets), so at some point I will experiment with either emitters or fluid containers (I have emitters for smoke, just haven't had time to play with the settings for leaking steam).

As for camera, I do have a few other angles, but just recently figured out a few lens/lighting techniques which I will try. If you can suggest anything specific, I'm all ears...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 18-11-2010 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
Oh yes, the texture is 2096 X 2096. Is that big enough for a close-up, in your opinion?

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 18-11-2010 , 08:53 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by Lt Jim
Oh yes, the texture is 2096 X 2096. Is that big enough for a close-up, in your opinion?

Would depend on the level of detail in the texture, how close is the close up and the final image size your rendering out at.

Give it a go and see if it meets your requirements user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"