Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-08-2012 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber

Egg Challenge - Chirone

Think maybe I'll give this a go too since I haven't done anything semi-decent in Maya for a while

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 05-08-2012 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
done! No, not really. But the idea is there.
the expression on the egg is taken from a Scott Pilgrim comic panel

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 3 05-08-2012 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
Welcome to the challenge... and like the idea.

# 4 05-08-2012 , 07:12 PM
Subscriber
Hey Chirone,
Been a while...
Nice idea indeed. I love the potential of the piece.
How about having the Egg parent holding some sort of make shift weapon like a celery stick, carrot, or an Asparagus to keep the wisk at bay. lol I feel it would make the scene more dynamic.
- Try different expressions on the "Eggletts", maybe mimicking the personalities of the dwarfs in Snow White. this will give the composition more character.
- I was also thinking of an egg carton behind of them, where one egglette is peeking out seeing if the threat has passed. lol

Hope it helps.
Best of luck!! and Keep it up user added image

"From Concept to Completion"
# 5 06-08-2012 , 03:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Stevejp!

Ah Rocky!! Brilliant suggestions! They are on the edge of a table/bench too. Maybe I'll make another parent egg and give it a carrot weapon.
I'll go look at the dwarf's personalities and apply them to the little eggs.

It just so happened that my friend posted an image of a normal sized chicken egg and a smaller chicken egg next to it around the same proportions as what I have here. Phew, good thing it's possible!

# 6 06-08-2012 , 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Cool idea and good to see you joining! user added image Its the first egg holder I've seen in the wips thus far.

- Genny
# 7 07-08-2012 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Gen!
I saw an egg holder in my parent's cabinet today and it was a little wooden circular one, so I thought that it'd be perfect for the little egglettes as they've now been called user added image

I changed the twisty tie around a bit to hold a carrot spear and soft of make a fist. Hmm, maybe I should consider putting something at the end of the twisty tie to be the hand instead so it's a little more obvious. But I don't know what I'd put on there.

I changed the main directional light's colour because I'd like it if this were at more of a sunset time.

I haven't got round to giving the egglettes their own textures yet.

Also the egg beater is an electric one, but I think maybe I should put in the effort for a manual one, just so it casts a more interesting shadow

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 07-08-2012 at 11:06 AM.
# 8 08-08-2012 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
looking good but I do agree that the hands are not that obvious. And also I did not realise it was a carrot on a stick. The size of a carrot next to an egg would be massive. It would be like some huge super weapon (a carrot bazooka!!) user added image Maybe a tooth pick, cocktail stick or even one of those cocktail drink mixer things would be more to scale if you wanted to go the spear route? just a thought.

# 9 08-08-2012 , 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
I think the spear is carved from a carrot Steve. Though, the spear could be more organic and irregular looking.

- Genny
# 10 08-08-2012 , 03:02 AM
Subscriber
Oh ok... thats not clear then.

# 11 08-08-2012 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
ah, yes, the carrot had been been cut from a full carrot. I could actually try cutting a carrot into a spear shape to see what it actually looks like and see if it actually is wonky (I'd think it wouldn't be if it's cut with a straight knife).

I think maybe I'll replace it with one of those skewer things that you shove into food to see if they are cooked on the inside.

I changed the egg beater to a manual one with cogs and stuff. I can put more of it into the shot now too.

aaaannndddd.... that's the carrot replaced. Although now it looks like a shepherd than a parent... I could possibly live with that.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 08-08-2012 at 12:08 PM.
# 12 08-08-2012 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
The scene is getting there.
- It feels kinda odd to have the egglettes holders be placed next to the edge of the table like that. I like the original idea of having the eggs being cornered there after having no other place to run. I can imagine one of the egglettes peering over the edge afraid.

- Having the staff to the egg's side feels a bit casual giving the situation. Try positioning the staff, so that he holds it infront of him so it looks like he is on guard. this should also make the hands more obvious.

- I like how you put more of the egg beater in the shot. however, because of its angle, it feels like its less threatening than before. Having the blades point in line with the eggs shows where the blades are aiming for.

"From Concept to Completion"
# 13 21-08-2012 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
Hey Rocky!
So you think the egglettes shouldn't have little egg holders?
Or that I should put them up against a wall?
Or both? Or something else?

I'll see what it looks like if I put the staff in front of the egg like it's holding it defensively and one where it's holding it in a more aggressive position.
I was thinking of making the hands out of little polystyrene balls, but I'm not sure how to make the egg hold onto them plausibly.

I see what you mean about the egg beater's position. I'll lift/angle it up more.

# 14 21-08-2012 , 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Up against a wall or even a carton of eggs or utensils. Or a backblate, just some ideas.

- Genny
# 15 21-08-2012 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
Ah, an egg carton might work. Then it'll be like they just got off their transport only to be attacked by some monster.