Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-09-2002 , 03:55 PM

killing 3 and 5 sided polys

Ok, I know that I'm supposed to rid my mesh of 3 and 5 sided ploys. However nowhere have I seen tuts on any proven techniques.
Trying desperatly to make nice edge loops, but keep running into the nasty 3 sided buggers. And the 5 sided ones are bad too. I tried deleting the "hanging" edge, and reconnecting verts, but Maya wont let me. There must be a proper way to do this stuff.

# 2 07-09-2002 , 12:49 PM
Supreme Being
whenever i bumb into 3 or 5 sided polys.. i usually just merge verts and might need to split some polys & might have to merge some more..
but what do you mean, Maya doesn't let you..?

# 3 07-09-2002 , 08:35 PM

I was wrong Roman

It does let me create the new edges. I realize now that after deleting a bad edge, I must attach them from a specific side of the poly. Thats OK, it works.

Anyhow, I've been doing the Hobbitguy head and its taught me a great deal. I'm currently struggling with making nice edgeloops and cleaning up any 3 and 5 sided polys.

Also, I havent considered yet, merging verts as an option for cleanup. I'll get on that next

https://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/
This site just answered about 5 big questions I've had. Check it out!