Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-07-2017 , 06:41 PM

Boolean Union ~ Models Disappear ~ Maya2015

Hi.

I watched one of Rick Malava's videos on Maya Boolean problems and came here for more info.

I need to produce a 'water-tight' file (.stl) for 3D printing that combines 3D text with a 3D label. Please see attachments.

I started by creating the 3D text in Maya 2015. The letters all have a single top-face that won't import into ZBrush without explosion. So, I triangulated the faces and was able to get a clean import to ZBrush. I did this for the ZBrush .stl export because I was unaware of the Maya .stl export.

Anyway, I would like to create the model entirely in Maya and am using the Boolean/Union so I can join the volumes while deleting the intersecting geometry. That is, I'm trying to use it. When performed, the models just disappear. I have looked and the 'Legacy' box is checked. I've gone to the Boolean Opt Node (only available in the Attribute Editor after the Boolean operation) and have not had success manipulating those options either.

Does anyone have a Boolean/Union solution or another approach I might take to create this water-tight model for 3D printing?

Thanks!

~T.~

ConservationArts.net

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SNARK; 23-07-2017 at 06:45 PM.