Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-11-2005 , 04:18 PM

Boolean Difference

When I try to do boolean differnce it just disappears on me. I've tried a lot of things to try and fix this but I do not know what the problem is. If anyone has any suggestions to what might be wrong, please post them so I can try and figure out the how to fix it.

Thanks.

# 2 17-11-2005 , 04:34 PM
a screenshot of that particular scene would help.

# 3 17-11-2005 , 06:05 PM
What he says is that his objects disappear when he does a boolean difference. This happens quite often to me also. I don't know to fix that problem either.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 4 17-11-2005 , 06:11 PM
do you get something form the operation?

If you only get little bits from the difference then you've done it the wrong way round, select the object you want the thing to be removed from then the thing you want to invoke the differenct then do the operation.

Other than this as an explanation i'm stuck!

# 5 17-11-2005 , 06:37 PM
i find a way to help you,
why don't you try do the following test, if you doesn't get what like below, then maybe your maya unlimited is broken and you can send them to alias for a new one.

create a poly cylinder and poly cube, then position them like below.
user added image

click on the poly cylinder then hold the [shift] button on ur keyboard and click on the poly cube. u would get something like this.
user added image

do poly boolean difference
user added image

and you would get this
user added image

btw, i am not a pro, i just try my best to help and share, so that others could do the same to me user added image :attn:

# 6 17-11-2005 , 07:19 PM
Thats exactly what I was trying to describe!!

Cheers for the pisc, hope it helps these guys out.

# 7 18-11-2005 , 04:24 PM
I just tried it again and it started to work... wierd huh?

# 8 27-11-2005 , 07:52 AM
I'm having the same problem... user added image

I understand how the Boolean tool(s) works and the importance of the correct order of operation to get a desired shape, but the geometry keeps disappearing on me. The geometry dissapears completely from view, no fragment, nothing. It gets even worse: according to the Outliner, the two objects that I used in the operation (polySurface12 and pCube13) do combine to form a new object (polySurface13), however, the viewports shown nothing except for that X,Y,Z-cursor-thing hovering in mid-space without an object to go along with.

I have had this problem a couple of times before, and the operation seems to fail with certain (complex) geometry. The shape that I want to use to do the cutting away with is a polygon with well over 50 faces to it, and the polygon that I want to cut out of is no less multi-faced...I've created a simple (unedited) cone and tried to Boolean with that...frustratingly enough, that worked fine... :headbang:

Usually I simply create all the geometry in question again and that usually solves the booleaning issues, but before I do that (since, I spent quite some time getting the desired shape to cut with) I was wondering if anyone had any further insight into this issue.

# 9 28-11-2005 , 10:36 AM
# 10 28-11-2005 , 11:19 PM
...Thanx for the reply.

However, I went back already and deleted the polygon intended to do the cutting/booleaning and remake it in a slightly different fashion, and that did end up working in the operation. The first time I made half of the object intended to boolean with and then, since it is symmetrical, I mirrored it. I didn't do that the second time around and simple made both sides manually, and that worked... user added image

I'll keep the thread that you replied with in mind for next time, though...user added image