Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-11-2007 , 03:35 PM

What is up with this polygon cylinder?

Hi,
I would like to modify the Subdivision Axis of this polygon cylinder but when I go to Channels where I expect to see polyCylinderx instead I see defaultLayer. When I look in the Attribute Editor instead of seeing polyCylinderx between pCylinderShape and initialShadingGroup I see defaultLayer instead. Why is that? Earlier in the lesson I had placed this object in a layer just to get it out of the way but after I removed from that layer this all started happening.
Btw, I realize I could just delete the object but I would like to get to the bottom of this before moving on.

Thanks,
Ron

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-11-2007 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Is it a duplicate of a previous cylinder, if so that would explain why you can't change its inputs.

Chris

# 3 12-11-2007 , 04:07 PM

Originally posted by bendingiscool
Is it a duplicate of a previous cylinder, if so that would explain why you can't change its inputs.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes it is. It is a duplicate of a cylinder I used earlier for a Boolean operation. I saved it because I wanted to save the outer dimensions so it would fit in a sleeve. I did not realize that duplicating a polygon object would limit its uses later on. I guess I should have used the duplicate for the Difference operation and saved the original. I have not got the input/output thing worked out yet so I will read up on that more today.

Thanks a lot for explaining this,
Ron

# 4 12-11-2007 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
there is a check box in special duplicate i think its called sth like Input Graph ... dont know right now. with that you duplicate everything inputs included.

# 5 12-11-2007 , 11:29 PM
user added image My first tip!user added image

Thanks BadG3r