Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-03-2009 , 06:28 AM

how to create throwing ball animation in maya

hi guys,

i am new here, i have a question to ask.

well, i know how to create bouncing balls and make a collision with other objects. But i only can do the balls drop from the top.

this time i want to "throw" this ball to other object, for example, shooting balls (like playing basketball)

is there any option in dynamics? or i need to key frame the "throwing" bit?

then i also want to make the hoop spring a bit after the ball hit the hoop.

thanks in advance

# 2 16-03-2009 , 06:54 AM
Hi ccavute, I'm pretty new here too and new to Maya, but I can help you with one of your questions, to make the ball move at another initial angle to begin with you need to set the initial velocity (in the channels editor,button on the top right of the screen,right under the close window button on your window) to whatever direction you want the ball to go in, ie; if the hoop is along the z axis to the ball you set the initial velocity to something like 0.05 in the z axis and see how fast it launches, then keep upping the setting fractionally until you have it the way you want it, you can then set the initial velocity in the y axis as well and it'll launch up and to the side. Be very delicate with the amounts as if you go too high to quickly it'll just fly off the screen! This together with the two friction settings and the dampening settings, and how you have your gravity settings all play a part, just remember fractional increases as you try each one out. Not too sure about the making the hoop spring slightly, maybe a hinge constraint with a very small amount of give to it and a tiny bit of bounciness, hope I've helped in some way, and hopefully someone else will give you more to get you on your way, good luck!

# 3 16-03-2009 , 07:12 AM
hi Dango77

thanks for your reply, your suggestion worked really well. i got my basketball threw user added image,

thanks very much.

i will keep looking for the answer to the "springing hoop". I am pretty sure it can be done by using MEL, but i am not good at coding, so if the answer can be simpler, the better.

Cheers

# 4 16-03-2009 , 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Soft bodies for the net sounds like it could work.'

edit: just realized you said hoop and not net, I still think soft bodies could work for that, even better if you have cloth.

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 16-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.