Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-11-2003 , 12:23 AM

My First Head Model-of Me

Hey guys this is my first time showing some of my work. This is my first head model that I have been working on. C&C's please

Front View

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-11-2003 , 12:25 AM
Side View

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 13-11-2003 , 12:27 AM
Persp View

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 13-11-2003 , 04:34 AM
Its a little long. Front view looks kinda ok, but the side is definitely too wide.

Are you working from a photo reference scanned into Maya? Use an image plane to go by. Heads are one of the hardest things to model correctly without good references.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 5 13-11-2003 , 06:41 AM
Yeah i have been working from a photo scanned in. But now that you mention it, it does seem long, but maybe that's just my head in general. We took a front pic and side pic with digital cam's at the same time and then i lined them up in photoshop and put them on an image plane, so i don't know why it seems so long.

user added image

# 6 13-11-2003 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Note that photos are taken from a perspective and thus are not always accurate from an ortographic view (front, side). Trust your eye. That is what kbrown always tell me. Also note that hair often obstructs the shape of the skull, look at some anatomy stuff (tip. https://www.correct-proportion.com/).

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 7 13-11-2003 , 05:17 PM
thanks for the tips guys

# 8 13-11-2003 , 06:40 PM
For reference photos take it with a camera with a decent zoom. Zoom all the way and stand back far enough to completely frame the head. That will get rid of some of the prespective problems. I still have a hard time believing you put the image as a backdrop template so I will explain how.

take the photo into photoshop. crop the image till you have just the head. In photoshop you have layers and color channels. Go into the channels option box. there is a little triangel around the top right of that option box. click on that and choose create a new channel. It will say something like alpha1. click create or apply. Now click back on the layers and it will give you back your drawing. Select the face carfully with the Lasso or color picker. have the whole face selected. Now go back into you channels with the face selected. pick the alpha channel you created. Use the fill tool and fill that selection in with white. Done with that. Go into the edit from the menu across the top and pick image size. Write down the hight and wide. example would be 650 pixels wide, 780 pixels high. Save the image as a TGA and close. Repeat this with the second reference.

Open Maya. Create a Lambert material. Under color assign the image you created.

create a plane with measurments the same as you reference image. If the reference image was 650 pixels wide then make the width of the plane around 6.5. it the hight was 780 make the hieght 7.5. Assign the lambert material to it. Press 6 to turn on the texture and there you go.

# 9 13-11-2003 , 08:49 PM
Take the photo with the camera placed on a tripod or table that wont change the height. Then, sit all the way back in a stiff chair (wood or one that doesnt recline) so that your head is the same height in each shot. Do this for a side, front and rear shot. The rear shot is optional, but it's always better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it. user added image

Can you post your side photo so that we may compare them?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 13-11-2003 , 11:08 PM
That's excatly what i did. We had the two cameras on tripods and took them at the same time- the only problem was, they weren't the same camera and different resolutions.

Here is the side pic...

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 13-11-2003 , 11:18 PM
you got a big head manuser added image

www.cgmaya.tk
# 12 14-11-2003 , 01:49 AM
Did you take your hair into account? That would add an inch at least.

# 13 14-11-2003 , 02:24 AM
a big head for all that knowlegde stored in there user added image
yeah i did take the hair into consideration, but i guess maybe i didn't judge it too well??

# 14 15-11-2003 , 10:46 AM

ear?

I think that the position of the ear is wrong.In your model you put your ear an the layer between the nose and the eyes.But in real they are between nose and lips.Or am I wrong?

# 15 15-11-2003 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
Fineart.sk have some rather nice excerpts from drawing books that show general proportions for the human head, like the attached. I have found them rather handy doing my first head model; it might be worth a look to reinforce your photos.

I don't think the ear goes between the nose and the lips, that would put it a bit far down the head.

Attached Images

Last edited by Witchy; 15-11-2003 at 03:58 PM.