Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 331 10-07-2006 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
Well, Tim, you certainly win the modelling prize in MY book! :-) All I can say is that if you are going to use it in an animation, PLEASE don't blow it up right away!!!! :-)

Excellent and inspiring work!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 332 13-07-2006 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
incredible Tim, you certainly are in the runnning for the 'patince and hard work 'prize. more proof of what can be achieved with a doggedly attitude and self belief. (even though you started with self doubt , a little anyway)

far out mate.user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 333 14-07-2006 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
wow man......totally awesome...very inspiring....I got a sweat just imaging the patience and time this must be taking!

Keep going mate....
user added image

Sometimes you eat the bear...Sometimes the bear eats you...
Either way...shit happens

https://www.fadedseoul.com
# 334 14-07-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
hahha blow it up right away lol ... haha too funny ..great work tim ..makes me want to not model lol anything starship wise lol

Last edited by mmoore5553; 14-07-2006 at 10:29 PM.
# 335 14-07-2006 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
playing the devils advocate mmoore? your an organics man anyway...

user added image

# 336 15-07-2006 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
Hi there Tim.. it seems you've totally nailed this one, would you say its one of your best/favourite works?..
Your attention to detail is frightening ( i thought the same when you was doing the HMS victory modelling),, do you ever get the "OMG what have i started feeling" when your halfway through one of these detailed projects?

# 337 15-07-2006 , 09:29 AM
whoa thats what you call a model lol, great work! truly amazing man, you got patience and skill. keep it up i wanna see it finished :attn: .

# 338 17-07-2006 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
Well thank you all once again.

Sorry I haven't been on here much I have been rather busy. Been working really hard to get it finished and I have.

The reason why I haven't posted it in the finished work section is because I still hope to get it textured.

I took the following stills to a job interview (printed on A3 paper) at Darkside Animations (www.dsanim.com). They seamed pretty happy with it and I think the interview went rather well but I wont know for another three weeks (so no quick escape from Marks and Spencer just yet).

They suggested that my next project should be something organic, which is what I was thinking of already. So I think im going to dust of my Oliphant tutorial I got all that time ago and give that a bash.

Bust time to answers some questions that have been building up.

TomerM -- The could of the whole model is 346087.

Lt Jim -- Naa man, this ones saying put. Thought there might be a whole fleet of theme so I think one has to be destroyed at some point user added image

pixiekiller -- I would say it's my best work to date, im not sure if it was as fun as the HMS Victory. I got to go to Portsmouth and see the real victory and go inside and touch it, learn the history of it so I think I had a greater connection to it. There were also more times on this project that I really struggled to get the motivation. I really had to fight the temptation to cut corners just to get it finished. The most daunting thing was looking at the reference images. That was a low point, but once you get stuck in you just have to take a bit at a time and before you know it (2 months later) it's done user added image

So with that I just have to show you the stills. I will start a new Oliphant thread but I will pop back to this one when I get bored of my Olipahant and start working on textures of some space battles. Whatever takes my fancy at the time.

Cheers for your patience as well.

Attached Thumbnails

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 339 17-07-2006 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
Nice long shot, you can still see some detail even at this distance.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 340 17-07-2006 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
And a shot of the engine section.

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 341 17-07-2006 , 01:47 PM
er... I think you missed a bit....

Just kidding - this is just looking fantastic - those last few shots really bring out the detail in your model - well done tim and good luck with the job!

# 342 17-07-2006 , 01:59 PM
19 year Veteran
It's been a while since I chimed in on this thread. Fantastic Job I must say. My only concern is that it seems a little too thin, but thats more than likley the angle of the pic. I hope you can get it textured. It would be awsome to see it lit up. I would also like to see in the download section if your willing to do so.

# 343 29-07-2006 , 02:03 PM
are you going to release this model ( really great job) to the community? I really like to use it in my games. and can it be in .X file format? if not so I'll turn it

-Master U
# 344 29-07-2006 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
ive been watching this thread for a while an i must say u have impressed me with the level of detail u have put into this
i dont know how u havent got so confused with all the parts that u just give up

nice model an keep it going

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 345 30-07-2006 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
... and when you started you thought youd bitten offf more than you could chew, just goes to show you can do anything you want.

that is incredible .., and there's a work in the air.., my.., how the world turns...

:bow: