Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-05-2006 , 06:27 PM

Image Referencing

Hi All,

I'm new to maya and just recently started working with it. My question is: How do you transfer an image from Photoshop to Maya as a reference image for modelling? Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

# 2 24-05-2006 , 06:31 PM
In Maya create a polygon plane on each of the axis (x,y,z or just x,y for side front).

Create 2 or 3 materials in the hypershade.

Go to the attribute editor of each material, next to the color icon there is a checker box, click it and select file, then using the file icon load the file you want and it will put the file in the material.

Select the plane to which it will go, click on the material in the hypershade and RMB to assign it to that object, thus putting the material on that plane.

Do that for the other materials so that each plane has the correct corresponding image.

# 3 24-05-2006 , 06:33 PM
Also u can go into say if u have a side image of something the side view. Up the top in that window where it says view go to image plane and select where ur image is.
U can do this for all the front top back ect
One problem i have with this method is that you can't zoom in on an image. If anyone knows how to fix this problem post a reply
Happy modeling
Advice to all newbies : DO TUTORIALS................IT HELPS A BUNCH
Actuall I learn how to do image plane in maya by tutorials, which are on this GREAT site:bow:

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?

Last edited by bcrichplayer; 24-05-2006 at 06:38 PM.
# 4 24-05-2006 , 07:06 PM
Thats why I dont do the whole camera image thing, zooming messes everything up.

# 5 24-05-2006 , 07:08 PM
True.
Stop doing it a long time ago, but just givin the guy some options

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?
# 6 25-05-2006 , 04:01 AM

thanks guys!

I tried it and it worked thank you so much!