Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-11-2002 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber

Problem putting Phong on Subdiv model.

Hi guys,

Need help and I couldn't find it in the book to answer this. You can see from the pics what I mean.

The model is made from subdivision from polygons. It seems like everytime I use a phong to put a shiny texture on it to the model, the right side where I model will look all f...up as if the whole thing collapsed, while the left side (instance of the right) looks fine.

I use a phong because my model's skin was pretty shiny when I shot him so I figure by putting some shine would help in getting more detail for my modeling him.

Please tell me why this is happening and how to fix this.

Anyone have any luck in trying the pinkskin shader from highend3d.com? I look so horrible when I assigned it to my 3D model, pink and huge freckles.

Thanks,
JL

# 2 22-11-2002 , 02:24 PM
It looks like you have the poly proxy mode shaded as well as the sub-d surface on the right side. Try selecting the right side of the model and under sub-d menu (select normal mode). That should do it I think, let me know if that didn't work.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 23-11-2002 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Is this what you mean? I went to Display -> Subdivision Surface Components -> Normals.

I selected the right side (the side where I do the modeling...) and went to display the normals...that is waht it look like. Did the same with the left side (instance of the right), it looks fine...

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
JL

# 4 23-11-2002 , 03:40 AM
My bad!!! I said (normal mode) when I thinking (Standard mode). I attached a pic to show you what to select. That should do it... if not upload the file if its small enough and I'll take a look for yeah.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 23-11-2002 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
It works!!! Thanks Kurt! user added image

# 6 28-11-2002 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
quick tip.... you can right click the object and select standard.user added image

# 7 28-11-2002 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I know. But happy thanksgiving though.