Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-04-2009 , 02:26 PM

Creating multiple textures for a model

Hi, I'm fairly new to Maya and I'm currently working on a game character. What I'd like to do is texture her using two separate texture files: one for the body parts i.e. head, limbs, and hands, and a second one for her clothes, shoes and accessories so that I can create different outfits for her later on. I have done some texturing before but only using one texture map per model, and I can't find any tutorials which explain how to make multiple texture files.

I have the UVs mapped but I'm really not sure how to progress from here. If anyone could give me any pointers I'd be extremely grateful! :bow:

# 2 03-04-2009 , 10:34 PM
it's easy - just layout all of your UVs for your body parts - select the body objects and then make a uv snapshot. now do the same with your clothes. take the maps into photoshop and paint them. now just assign a shader to the clothes and another to the body. then just apply your body maps (color, bump, spec, etc) to the relevant attributes of your body shader and the same for the clothes. name everything!!! it will make your life a lot easier.

hope that helps. user added image

# 3 15-04-2009 , 01:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the help! (and sorry for not replying sooner.) :blush: I got it all working fine using the methods you described. I think I was overcomplicating things by worrying about UV sets when I didn't have to.

# 4 15-04-2009 , 05:27 PM
glad you sorted it. user added image