Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-03-2011 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber

The Duke

Hey guys! So this is my current concept and progress for our 3rd (out of 4) major assignments for this year. Decided not to go for the kind of hard-edge style I was playing with in my last post. Instead I wanted a more simplistic and cartoony fella.

Not gonna say too much about it at this point, feedback is appreciated, so don´t be shy.

Concept - (didnt draw hands and feet cause I didnt know what to go for at the time, and due to tight schedual I just wanted to get started asap, plus drawing hands and feet always ruins the whole drawing in my case, its that bad)

user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ps. I`d love to be able to show the character a little more... nicer looking, in lack of a better word. But whenever I try to set up lighting and get a decent render out I´m just never satisfied so I gave it up on this one. Anyone got a good tutorial on character lighting/rendering?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 16-04-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
# 2 18-03-2011 , 10:08 AM
The thin red line
That looks good, you might want to do a ambient occlusion render theres a free tutorial on this site...........dave

# 3 18-03-2011 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
you are using max, correct? the tut dave mentions is unfortunately maya specific.

here is a tut for global illumination in max you might be interested in to show the character nicer:
gi-rendering-techniques-in-3ds-max

# 4 04-04-2011 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber

Update

Hey! Here's an update on my character design project.
Been too busy to post updates really. Or it hasn't been on my priority list, at least.

Basically had to learn texturing from scratch to do this one, or photoshop that is. So it was a lot of work to get em done, but Im getting close. A bit of nasty specular on the vest there, a little blank in the eyes and a very simplistic beard, but overall it's getting there.

If you have any tips on how to improve the beard I'd appreciate that.

I'd also like to put in some more work on that tie, but we got a week left, and I still need to rig/skin/pose him, + do a report on him etc.

As always, you're feedback is my only motive for posting, so please don't hold back.

- Classical

user added image

# 5 06-04-2011 , 06:45 AM
cool stuff man !

# 6 07-04-2011 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
Hey, so here's an updated version of my character here. Got him rigged and posed

Havent done anything with the beard yet. turn-ins are on tuesday, and I really wanna go as far as I can with this guy. I don't have much time to work though, so at this point it would have to be minor changes.

Hope you enjoy user added image

Ps: I cant seem to be able to upload with the "local" uploader on the site.. I checked my image size, but not much is happening still.. Cant upload from URL either, it just says "invalid file". Any takes?

- SMB

user added image

# 7 08-04-2011 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Nice one user added image