Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-06-2004 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber

I don't even know what to call this problem

OK This problem has been bothering me for awhile now. The first one is this:

user added image

I don't want it to have that trail like it does.

My second problem is with the manipulators:

user added image

They are so small, I don't want them that small

Thanks for anyones help in advance!

- Tom

Last edited by Der Kaiser; 18-06-2004 at 06:54 PM.
# 2 18-06-2004 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Update: For some reason the picture of the manipulators won't load, I am just going to try to upload it instead of using a web address

Also Incase it doesnt work: The problem is that they are shrunken down...alot. When I create just a basic sphere, they are inside the sphere almost touching. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

- Tom

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 18-06-2004 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
hey Der Kaiser. i have the same problem you are having with the red lines when using nurbs. apprarently it is a video card problemaccording to the research i have done. Maya doesnt support most gaming cards (i have a ati 9700). If you search on the forums i believe there is a post that goes more into detail about this.

As for the 2nd problem. you can hit the + to to increase the size of your manipulaters.

# 4 18-06-2004 , 07:12 PM
What?! it does support ATI 9700? wow... ive got a 9600 but it runs fine... I wonder if 9800 (the card im looking at getting) is like that

# 5 18-06-2004 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
I don't know about the cards, but just so you know, I am using ati radeon 9800 256mb and i am having the problem

thanks for the tip on the manipulator size

Once again just for a bump this is my other problem:

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 18-06-2004 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
i also have a radeon 9800 but my manipulators are normal ... i do notice that when moving isoparms i get a red area where the isoparm is moving across the surface

# 7 18-06-2004 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber

# 8 28-06-2004 , 05:50 PM
The problems you're having are due to Radeons drivers. I ru a 7200 and havenever had any problems before I DL'd the latest drivers.

1. The manipulators are resized using the plus(+) and minus(-) keys.

2. That red line is due to the graphics drivers. They happen when you drag an isoparm across the surface, right? I get the same thing when I'm using a paint efects brush. Simply do what you need to do then rotate your scene slightly and it should remove the trils. Unfortunately, since it is so common among ATI users, I don't think there is any fix for it, it's just the drivers lately. Unless you can revert back to earlier drivers I think you're stuck with it.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu