Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-05-2005 , 09:33 PM

help with render

how can i make a clay render?

# 2 25-05-2005 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
Um what do you mean, like make the scene appear clay? If so, maybe certain shaders or a vector render may be up your alley.

# 3 26-05-2005 , 05:32 AM
All depends -- if its wet clay you'll need a different material than a block of dry clay.

For wet and shiny clay -- you may want to NOT use bumpmaps, and use specular maps with fairly high values.

For dry clay unmodelled you'll want a random bumpmap (click on the little arrow beside the bumpmap and click on something random, I'd personally use noise (I believe it's called noise) with a very high frequency.) Also you'll NOT want much of a specularity -- if any at all...

For the color for both, I'd recommend a grey with a little hint of brown -- maybe more if its painted pottery but that's all dependant on you.

# 4 26-05-2005 , 08:01 AM
Subscriber
A "clay" render in other programs would be the same doing a render with the default lambert in maya.

Now if you trying to make it actually look like clay, the you'll have to specify what type of clay. Then some guru here might be able to tell you what shader and shader attributes would work.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 27-05-2005 at 04:22 AM.
# 5 27-05-2005 , 04:12 AM
what i mean i something like this

user added image

user added image

Last edited by rda52; 27-05-2005 at 04:39 AM.
# 6 27-05-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
OH yeah, I also would like to know how to do this. I see alot of models like it and think it looks pretty nice.

# 7 27-05-2005 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
all that is is the basic lambert material and some twisting of your render globals

Simple to do really: create a ground plane and a sphere that is larger than the plane give the dome a bright white material with plenty of ambience then go to your render globals (Mental Ray) and turn off default light, then goto the final gather option and turn it on default setting should be good, also turn the sampling upto either preview global illumination or production depending on whhat you want to use it for