Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-02-2006 , 10:44 AM

bump

does anyone know a good bump map, or displacment map tutorial cos ive seen a bumpmap tut vid but it used some 3rd party plug in, anyone know a a straight way to do it in maya, n alos something on displacment maps i have no idea what they are. Thaks
Josh

# 2 08-02-2006 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber
a bump map is lets say u have a pic of a wall all u do is make it grey scale and just save as a psd name it wall bump so u know what it is. then just apply it to ure texture of lets say ure wall.in the bump section. easy as that.
dark is protruding in. light is bumped. (The colours of the greyscale)to make a specular map its the same thing just into the specular option in ure initial texture attributes. make it grey scale too. but an easy way is to maybe blur the grey scale and up the contrast slighly that should show u how it works kinda.

Edit** not specular i mean displacement section in the attributes
but its the same process.

Last edited by magicsy; 08-02-2006 at 11:06 AM.
# 3 08-02-2006 , 11:23 AM
ok thx ill give that a go sounds easier than i thought.

# 4 08-02-2006 , 11:58 AM
It initially seems a little confusing jhubbard but after a couple of tries it gets really easy.
Try using a blinn material and when you look at the material attributes it'll have a 'bump' field. Click the icon at the right and import your bump file. Then you might need to mess with the bump level to get the desired height.
For the specular map it is a very similar process. Again with a blinn select the icon to the right of specular color and choose the file you have created. Give the scene a render and you should have a bumped+speculared image user added image

I haven't tried diffuse or displacement yet but I'm sure they aren't voodoo either (...he hopes user added image )

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 08-02-2006 at 12:00 PM.