Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-11-2006 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber

Several questions...

Ok, firstly, I have a fully rigged character, how do I completely select the whole lot as at the minute the selection seems to ignore the geometry and take the joints as priority if i drag a selection box over them, component mode is on.

Secondly, Is there a way to turn on 'double sided normals' as when i export geometry such as a box without the lid on, when viewed from the top the inside is transparant this is a real problem.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 28-11-2006 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Can't help with your first prob I'm affraid.

But as to no 2, you may find Display->Custom Polygon Components[] : "Backface Culling(off)" helps.

Simon

# 3 28-11-2006 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
Thats not what I'm after, I need the normals to be double sided so that both sides of a plane are opaque when exported.

# 4 28-11-2006 , 07:13 PM
what are you importing into? that program might not be able to figure that out (because all objects in maya are 'double sided' by default - you'll find that in render stats in the attribute editor, but since it's a rendering variable i don't think it would help after being exported)

also try looking in your help files for 'double sided shaded surfaces'... it creates a two-sided texture, and that might help as well.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 28-11-2006 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
At the minute im just importing into a directx viewer, i think it will be something in maya which ill have to check box prior to exporting but just not sure what at the minute

# 6 28-11-2006 , 08:06 PM
another solution to the 'box without the lid' would be to also model the inside of the box as well so you don't have to see the 'other side' of the polys... it would only add like 9 polys.

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 28-11-2006 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
yeah, though that isn't really practical as this is for game purposes so every poly counts and cannt afford to double up each plane situation, there must be a standard procedure that game artists adhere to in this situation

# 8 28-11-2006 , 08:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
on the games I've worked on so far, if the engine was not capable of rendering double sided faces, I had to literally duplicate the model and reverse the normals. Then it'd be psuedo double sided.

As for selecting your model, you can untoggle joints in the selection masks if you just want to select the mesh. If you're trying to move your rigged character as a whole, you don't need to select the mesh, since it's bound to the skeleton. Select your root joint and any IK handles you have (or their groups if you're using a method similar to how I rig things) and then you should be able to move it all together.

# 9 28-11-2006 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
Is there any way I can check that double sided normals are on in maya, as it's when I export it into a directx viewer thats when i have the issues.

With the moving of a rigged character, is it possible to scale the character? The problem is Ihave already created an animation cycle for it, would this cause an issue?

# 10 28-11-2006 , 11:25 PM
That has nothing to do with it, this isnt a shader based problem, check the preferences under modelling it sounds like you have create single sided geometry ticked.

With the first problem you must have bones selected on the picking mask.

when you deling with modelling either go in component (F8)mode or turn off objects which have pick priority such as bones... look on your status line.

# 11 29-11-2006 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
Sweet, thatnks for the info Laurie, I'll have a play when I get home.

# 12 29-11-2006 , 10:28 AM
Senior Software Developer
Have a look at the DT site, they have a tute that tells you how to create a double sided shader. This may not be supported by a game engine but will render ok.

As both Mike and Neo have stated games usualy mean a double up on the poly count to allow you to see the inside and out. Normals only show one way so when they are viewed from the otherside its transparent. Anywhoo...

Try here to see if this helps in anyway...

DT Link (QT 7 is required)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 13 29-11-2006 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
Cheers, though according to the programmer its to do with culling in the engine which he has corrected and now shows double sided normals, thanks for the link Ransid.