SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Technical Issues / Black spots/areas on shaded objects and glow effects

Maya Technical Issues Post all your interface and configuration related problems with Maya software here.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

20-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
huntaer

Black spots/areas on shaded objects and glow effects
Dunno why, but whenever I attempt to put on a couple of textures for realism, I end up getting these weird black areas on the Star Destroyer I've been working on.

Another separate problem, is that for some reason I can't get Glow Effects to work on Maya Hardware, and then it doesn't show up at all under Maya Software. Is there something I could've changed in the rendering settings for Software and Hardware that could be doing these things?
20-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
honestdom
The Nurb Herd

how many star destroyers are there?
20-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
huntaer

Just the one, relatively low polygons and whatnot
20-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
LauriePriest

Glow is a post processing effect so it can be ignored in the render view window.

Go to your render view, right click go options and make sure glow effects is not ignored.

When it comes to your textures, have you laid out your UVS, are the textures that you have using alpha channels that could be giving you weird results?

Is the render your showing us hardware or software rendered.
20-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
huntaer

Quote:
Originally posted by LauriePriest
Glow is a post processing effect so it can be ignored in the render view window.

Go to your render view, right click go options and make sure glow effects is not ignored.

Didn't work. Under Hardware, they are grayed so that I can't select them. When I switched over to Software, Ignore Shadows and Glows weren't selected. I tried selecting Ignore Glow and then unselecting it again to see if that helped change anything. Nada

Quote:
When it comes to your textures, have you laid out your UVS, are the textures that you have using alpha channels that could be giving you weird results?

Is the render your showing us hardware or software rendered.
1) Yes

2) dunno, wasn't taught alpha channels in my animations class

3) Hardware. Nothing shows up on software at all it seems
20-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
honestdom
The Nurb Herd

i thought you may have lamina faces.. or perhaps fancy normals
01-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
huntaer

I wouldn't really know what those are. We didn't go that "in depth" in program lingo and whatnot in class
01-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
honestdom
The Nurb Herd

lamina faces are two faces on top of each other. you can check for these by using the clean up tool. (set it to select only and lamina faces.)

you can check if you have strange normals by selecting back-face culling. you will see through the back of a face. so if you look at your model and see through bits, you need to flip those faces.
01-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
huntaer

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer.horror
lamina faces are two faces on top of each other. you can check for these by using the clean up tool. (set it to select only and lamina faces.)

you can check if you have strange normals by selecting back-face culling. you will see through the back of a face. so if you look at your model and see through bits, you need to flip those faces.
Yea, definitely not. This continued to happen even on older projects which I know don't have two faces on top of each other... Damn...
01-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
honestdom
The Nurb Herd

sorry dude, i'm out of suggestions
06-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
huntaer

anyone have any more suggestions?