Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-12-2006 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber

Wine glass

Hello,

I had a few moments to spare this afternoon, noticed that there were a few wine glasses being made and decided to have a shot at one myself. Anyway.... here's the fruits of my labour, not much really but I quite enjoyed making it.

Later,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-12-2006 , 06:22 PM
looks pretty nice but quite metallic :-\

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 14-12-2006 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
YES, I like it!! Well I spent quite abit more time than you, and did get nearly what you did. Very nice!!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 14-12-2006 , 07:18 PM
and theres not really ANY shadows, lol

umm, shadows always add realism, even if you dont think you need them, lol

i do not doubt that shadows are on (its mental ray, right?) but maybe put a direct lightsource behind the render camera to give a more noticable solid shadow with some refraction.

i hope that helps, but it probably didnt, lol

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 5 14-12-2006 , 07:28 PM
Looks good! I like it alot like the background colors. Only thing I see wrong is the bottom of the wine glass. It's to blackish I think. Other than that good one user added image

https://zoharblur.deviantart.com/
# 6 14-12-2006 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for your thoughts,

Matt: The reflectivity was probabaly set too hich which could be why the base looks sort of metallic, the shader that I made is completely transparent so that's all it could be really.

Tom: Thanks, it really was a rush job though just to get my head away from my previous project. I think that I spent a total of half an hour on it, mainly messing around with the lighting.

Andy: You're right, there is no direct light source in the render, I'll try one out next time.

I'll make another scene later (once the kids are in bed!) as I didn't bother saving this one after I had rendered it, I don't think that I should have any bother reproducing it, I'll have a couple more shots at making it more real looking.

Thanks again,

Mat.

edit,

ZoharO, you posted as I was replying...

the base of the glass looks that way because of the refractions, I'll try to clear that up when I make the scene again.

Last edited by happymat27; 14-12-2006 at 07:36 PM.
# 7 14-12-2006 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
I like what you did in such a short time. I did figure out that the shadows were being blocked by the blinn material that the dielectric material was assigned to. But this is my first real work with rendering and I will get further in the scene and work on my shadows.

Look forward to when the kids got to bed and you have some time.;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 8 15-12-2006 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
is the mauve on the glass mapped to the reflective chanell, or is it refractions??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 9 15-12-2006 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
Tom: There's only a blinn material on the glass, the reason for no shadows is that I was relying on Final Gather as the light source, there is no direct light source so there are no shadows to be cast. I only used a blinn shader for the glass material, I don't really know too much about the MR shaders I'll look into them next time.

Mirek: How the devil are you? The mauve on the glass is refracted from the light behind it, like I said to Tom there the shader was a super simple transparent blinn with refractions set to 1.5 (glass), reflectivity set to around 0.25, specularity set pretty low and specular colour set to white.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to have another go yesterday evening but I'll definately look further into setting up and rendering glass when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 10 15-12-2006 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
matt user added image me?? up and down as always, computer went down big time, new hardware needed (so a lot of paranoia was me at the computer alone for too long and not attacks on the system) so i'm using something differant until it comes back from the shop. what a world, too much alone at home with the computer, you know, thinking too much!

i had a good scene on the HD thats gone now but it was a wine glass, fruit and a bottle that i always wanted to work with, lighting, shadows, shaders, enviroment, you know, reminds me of art classes; (without the live models user added image ). a bowl of fruit, ect. frorn a nothing scene into something nice with lights, shadows and textures. Hope you continue with this.

got my BA, got an award for that madness with post sound, up until 4am at nght, remember? that award got me work composing for a movie with a $30,000 budjet (outside of the uni enviroment). not a big budget but it is well connected and could lead to some good things in the future. been asked to do honours next year, up a degree to BCA, not BA. but no-one to share the most proudest moment of my life.., street boy makes good, blah blah.

hows the music? bet uni has you workng your arse off.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 11 11-01-2007 , 01:19 PM
Wow - pretty!

Now that's given me an idea. I don't suppose you'd mind "lending" me your glass geometry?? I wouldn't need your scene, lighting or textures; just the glass? I'd post the result right here...

Hmmm, There dosen't seem to be any begging smilies. So I'll havta just go with this:
:bow:

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 12 13-01-2007 , 11:18 PM

Originally posted by MattTheMan
looks pretty nice but quite metallic :-\

probably a really high refractive index causing total internal reflection user added image

# 13 14-01-2007 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
Hello Edward,

thanks for the thought, I used 1.52 (crown glass) for the refractions. I think that I just need a little more practice in setting up and rendering caustic / refractive things, it's not something that I've really got into as of yet. Well rendering in general is not a forte of mine but it's something that I was looking to explore a little with this thread (which I had got totally side tracked from), perhaps I'll take it up again and see if I can make any progress.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 14 02-02-2007 , 09:53 AM
Try to make the glass with the "L_Glass" shader... its very easyuser added image

# 15 16-02-2007 , 10:49 AM

Originally posted by savov
Try to make the glass with the "L_Glass" shader... its very easyuser added image

How do I get the L_Glass shader?

Anyhoo, I like it a lot!! Very nice lighting!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...