Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 22-11-2009 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber
with alpha gain increased and alpha offset adjusted...

...I just hope now I have found some settings that work, and will get similar success on a something 'real' rather than just this quick experiment..

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 22-11-2009 , 07:59 PM
The thin red line

# 18 23-11-2009 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the link dave. I had another couple of successful displacement exports, and think im getting the hang of knowing which settings to adjust when things arent going as smoothly as I plan.

I wonder, u said uve created displacement in zbrush and rendered in maya. i was curious, was z brush just a passing thing for you? Or do u now just use other methods? Im looking for some guidance on a practical workflow. I have this model which id like to sculpt in zbrush. Base mesh done in maya. Im not keen on what ive experimented with zapp link and not a huge fan of polypainting, so id like to use photoshop for texturing. Im a bit confused about what the best workflow for such a process is.

# 19 24-11-2009 , 01:48 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
I am a intermedate Zbrush user still learning. the only reason I said use zbrush uvs is one of the tutorials for displacement map said the uvs created after the disp map will take into accout the disp map. I need to look into this also as I will be doing some thing along those line with the Birdman WIP.
Maps created in zbrush can be used in maya and textured in photoshop..............dave

# 20 24-11-2009 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
It sounds as if we're on a similar track. I'd be interested to hear how u get on. Im a bit confused because the only two ways i know of creating maps in zbrush so far, are group uving and Auv ing, is that a standing for adaptive(?) not too sure, but Ive not seen a useful map come out of zbrush in any tutorial I have seen yet. I hope you are right as from my limited understanding so far, if you uv map everything in maya first then the base level object is going to change anyway once youve done some sculpting, so I think maybe you sculpt, then export the base level objs, uv map, then re-import to z for the displacement map creation. But then.....sigh,...

I havnt looked at the link you sent me yet, ive had two long days at work. It was great last week I had a week off and really thought id made some progress. But off again for the next two days so looking to get stuck back in. Im asking questions on zcentral also, do u post there?

# 21 25-11-2009 , 07:53 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
Dont let zbrush confuse you, zbrush generates maps in a funny way, the displacement map you have created is not a uv map but a displacement map. if you create a uv map in zbrush it will show up in the texture box, if you create a bump map it will show up in the alpha box. Dont try to learn to much at once as you will go around in circles.
If you createuv map in maya import it into zbrush with your model.

No I have not posted t zbrush.................dave

# 22 25-11-2009 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
quick polypaint. Ive already exported a displacement map on this so Im going to see if I can get this colour info to texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 25-11-2009 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
more grid like artifacts..user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 25-11-2009 , 10:40 PM
The Nurb Herd
turn off render visibility on your hrdi

# 25 25-11-2009 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber
do u mean 'primary visibilty' in the render stats for the image based lighting? I will have a go.

# 26 25-11-2009 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
if that is what u meant i had a go, but its not affected the tearing. I thought it was doing that before i put the ibl on, but I thought i'd quickly double check. I think the problem lies in the displacement map and/or the settings in the shader/approximation node. I dont really know.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 26-11-2009 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
:shakehead

Its the render settings. If i adjust the mental ray settings (production), the subdiv approxnode(length distance angle, view dependent, length 0.1) and the displace approx node (length distance angle, length 0.25, view dependent) I start to get a nice artifact/seamless render.

alas, after 20 minutes or so, my computer folds on me...

..... Dear Santa, ....

....e.t.c....

# 28 26-11-2009 , 07:43 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by ben hobden
if that is what u meant i had a go, but its not affected the tearing.

sorry it was just distracting. i didn't think it would help your disp map... I'm no expert on zbrush the only thing i know is that zbrush has a funny 0 and that you have to do some kind of sum when you are using maya. I can't quite remember, sorry. Looks like you are all set anyway.

# 29 26-11-2009 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
yeah, one of maya's / zbrush's idea of o is mid grey and the other is black? Cant remember off the top of my head which is which. Had those settings covered with the alpha gain and alpha offset sliders.

its a crappy model with crappy textures, but still, a shame to learn that my computer isnt going to render displacement. Its no big deal I guess, I don't have a pressing need really to create them. Just hoping to try and recreate some of the gorgeous renders I see of zbrush models.:shakehead

....if only...

# 30 26-11-2009 , 10:57 AM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
dont give up yet, have you got your render setting to draft (you can set this to custom at a later date), set your subdiv approxnode to parametric at 3 to start with then increase as needed.........dave

ps. I am on a P4 3.2 ith 2GIG of ram