Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-10-2002 , 05:02 AM
Subscriber

Texturing a coin

Can anyone help? I'm looking to create a coin, it can be either Nurbs or Poly, i want to apply an image to each side of the coin then the object will be set as a active rigid body. Below is one side of the image. I just can't get an image to map to one face, can anyone explain best way to do this?

# 2 18-10-2002 , 05:25 AM
Supposing the coin is made of a poly cillinder you could try the next method:
(from the always handy F1 pal)
  • Select the surface.
  • Press the right mouse button (RMB) while over the surface, select Face from the marking menu, then choose the Select by component type icon (or press the hotkey F11).
  • Select (either drag or Shift-click) the faces you want to map.
  • While the faces are highlighted in the view, in Hypershade, LMB-Shift-click over the material swatch you want, and press the RMB and select Assign Material To Selection from the pop-up menu. Maya applies the material to the faces.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by adldesigner; 18-10-2002 at 06:26 AM.
# 3 18-10-2002 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, sorry if i was unclear with my question. I have no problems actually assigning a texture to a side of the coin, the problem is when i do it's mapping it correctly so it looks like a coin i have probs with. You could ty assigning that image to the face of a cylinder and you'll see what the problem is i'm having. UV's still confuse the hell out of me user added image

# 4 18-10-2002 , 07:02 AM
Hmm, I saw what was happening with your coin, and I took upon your challenge to map the fr*gging thing user added image

After five minutes fiddling with the UV editor I came upon this.

Tell you what, I´ll post tomorrow a little step-by-step (if nobody does first, and when I understand the thing well enough) since I feel really sleepy right now. However grab that UV editor and start messing with everything, that´s how I came upon it. (I´m a real noob so believe me, the d*mn thing confused me also, then I saw what was happening but I didn´t know how to fix it, so I started messing with everything I had).

by the way, I didn´t have much care when mapping the Uv´s which would explain why it looks bad, but it certainly looks better than those "speed-lines" user added image

Last edited by adldesigner; 18-10-2002 at 08:06 AM.
# 5 18-10-2002 , 08:08 AM

the image itself ...

Upss, some problems uploading, fixed now.

# 6 18-10-2002 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
planar mapping would do it, I would assume

# 7 18-10-2002 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber
Thanks adldesigner and well done, you got easily further than me user added image I will mess around and see if i can come up with something.

mtmckinley, i'm starting to mess with planer mapping, hopefully i'll figure mapping out sometime soon. I'm sure it's not that complex.

Thanks, finally got it correct using planer mapping, didn't have to go into the UV editor thankfully. Anyway suggestions on how to improve it and maybe some ideas on hot to tackle the edges? A big thanks for all the help.

Last edited by mrmacca; 18-10-2002 at 07:09 PM.
# 8 18-10-2002 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
Here's how it stands right now.

# 9 03-03-2003 , 10:33 PM

New mapping question

Maybe this is an okay place to ask this. I myself am trying a different kind of mapping onto a cylinder and using the texture editor to move my UVs. I have no prblem moving UVs, and everything looks great when I'm done, but here's where the problem comes in - I save my scene and when I open it later I find that how I've moved my UVs around is stretching my map to fit it to the new UV positions. The image looks no different than it originally did on the cylinder (as if I made no changes), but the image in the texture editor is warped like crazy.

This has to be a glitch, no? Is there something I need to set so it'll leave my texture map alone and just apply the new UV coordinates? Keep in mind that none of this stretching appears until I've opened my scene again.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

# 10 04-03-2003 , 04:58 AM

Doh!!!

Okay, I figured this one out myself. I just forgot to set the file import to normal - it was set to projection when I applied the file to the material. Doh!!! user added image