Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-04-2003 , 12:57 AM

Modelling problems

I am a total newbie to maya and i'm just starting out trying to develop my polygon modelling techniques. My current project is to model a gun, a GLOCK20.

I'm having trouble connecting 2 parts of my gun together due to my limited knowledge of maya. I tried looking through the built in maya reference and i can find anyting that applies to my situation user added image

I want to connect the circled red areas in the picture below to form the other part of the tirgger, but i don't know how.

Thanks in advance,
Flashmario

# 2 04-04-2003 , 01:38 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can use the Append to Polygon Tool. Click from one edge to the other and hit enter when the pink area looks like you'd want.

Polygons > Append to Polygon Tool

# 3 09-04-2003 , 04:26 AM
thanks man, I've made some progress but, i'm stuck again user added image.
When i extuded the barrel of the gun, i added some divisions (like 5) just incase i needed to add anything, but now i keep seeing little crevices between the divisions, and when i try to smooth it, it doesn't smooth the whole barrel, it smooths the inidividual divisions user added image. Sorry if this is a really n00b question, i don't know how to fix it tho. I'm so slow at modelling, but you can see my progress anyway...

# 4 09-04-2003 , 04:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
It looks like you have faces INSIDE the barrel at those divisions that need to be deleted.

# 5 09-04-2003 , 04:41 AM
user added image thanks mike, you're really helpful, is there anyway to aviod creating internal faces in the future?

# 6 10-04-2003 , 08:59 PM
Yeah in modeling mode go to polygons>tool options>keep faces together