Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-08-2006 , 02:28 PM
Senior Software Developer

Autodesk Screw Over Alias Silver Membership Users

Hi,

Well Autodesks takeover of Alias has finally p**sed me off. I had paid for a full year (this was a gift), and it is due to run out on Dec 2006. Autodesk have teken it upon themselves to move certain content so any Silver Membership User will not get access to it. Basically Silver Membership no longer exists. As you can imagine I am pretty P**SSED OFF.

I would also like to know where I stand as I am in the UK and Autodesk are a US based company, but surely there will be international laws prohibiting what Autodesk are doing as they should be legally obliged to uphold any support/agreemants or contracts made by a Customer and Alias.

I would like to here if anyone else in the community has had this problem. I hae taken this up with Autodesk to get a typical Corporate response. I will post the contents of the emails below:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 2 22-08-2006 , 02:29 PM
Feedback for teh new community area called "The Area":

To: Area-Feedback
Subject: Feedback Message on Tuesday 22nd of August 2006 02:13:47 PM

Feedback Message on Tuesday 22nd of August 2006 02:13:47 PM
Comment from Chris Moss
Rate:

Most Valued:

None. Complete Loss to all Silver Membership Access previously bought when it was Alias

Least Valued:

Everything so far. Again I cannot access the exclusive content that was silver and has now gone Platinum. This is basic Thefty or a blatent attempt to deny me the content I have paid for

Most Missed:

The old Alias SIlver Membershipp Access reinstated.

Other:

The Area seems a good idea, but why bother

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 3 22-08-2006 , 02:29 PM
Autodesks reply:

From: Autodesk Silver Moderator [mailto:silver_moderator@alias.com]
Sent: Wed 8/23/2006 6:41 PM
To: Chris J. Moss
Subject: Former Silver content, Ref# 0000109

Dear Chris Moss,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Downloadable DVDs and the Hi-Res Textures and Shaders are now only available to Platinum membership.

Tutorials are now part of the new free 3D community portal - most tutorials are already there, any remaining missing tutorials will soon be available.

As a valued member of the community, Autodesk remains committed to offering you the resources you need to master your tools and to connect with people who have similar interests.

We wish to thank you for visiting the AREA, the next version of the former Alias community site. This portal has been re-designed to include all the great content and features you've come to expect, with even more resources, more choice and more to ways to connect with the world of 3D in the media and entertainment industry.

Please continue to visit and check the AREA https://www.the-area.com for exciting new updates.

Kindest Regards,

Autodesk Membership Services

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 4 22-08-2006 , 02:31 PM
Hi,

I am sorry but this is not good enough. I paid for a 1yr subscription to Alias for Silver Membership (this runs until the beginning of December 2006) part of this cost was the ability to get the Downloadable DVD's and certain exclusive content to Silver Memberships. Autodesk have no legal right to deny my access to anything that I have paid for, this is basic theft.

I want this sorted so I may have acess to the Platinum Section until my subcricption runs out. I also want a direct number to a complaints department at Autodesk in the UK. I will also speak to the UK Trading Standards about this as part of the contract I entered into with Alias when I paid for my subscription was access to certain content host and supplied by Alias. Now Autodesk have taken over, they have no legal right to stop access to what I have paid for under the agreements/contract made at the time of purchase.

I thought that the takeover of Alias would not cause any issues for current Alias User(s), I guess not. I will also be posting this information on certain Maya Dedicated Forums to get the view of other users.

Chris Moss
Very Angy Victim
UK Alias Silver Member

I await there reply...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter

Last edited by R@nSiD; 22-08-2006 at 02:33 PM.
# 5 22-08-2006 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
i can see where ur commin from an i would be pretty peed off too

but in the small print in the contract there will probably be something leaving them the rights to move data(the downloads - dvds, txtures ect) in an out of this section at will
i might be wrong but im not sure

still complain though espc to tradin standards

good luck an i hope they atleast refund or upgrade ur supscription for the remaining duration of the subscription
user added image user added image user added image :headbang:

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 6 22-08-2006 , 11:38 PM
Thats stupid, you pay for somethig then they take it away from you?

Have a trip to the your local CAB and see where you stand.

# 7 23-08-2006 , 02:05 PM
Subscriber
its like wen u subscribe to ne thing the contact (terms &condits) always benefit the company ie( broadband - they can termiate ur contact with a reason at will with no notice)

with wat i stated if they did not have it it would mean they cant add new textures ect cos this would count as movin data in

good luck

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 8 23-08-2006 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
R@nSiD

I also have Silver Membership and was (until reading your post) under the illusion that the missing content was an oversight on Autodesk's part.

I've counted to 10 several times - but it has not helped...... Angry is a huge understatement.

They haven't even the common courtesy to contact the members they have, oh so willingly, extorted money from under false pretences, to tell them of!!!

What a great start to the weekend........

Keith

# 9 23-08-2006 , 11:45 PM
after carefully reading in full the user agreement license for the new terms dealing with autodesk, i've gotta say that they DO include (recent or not) terminology dealing with the ability to access current and/or existing information, and that they state that (after the takeover) you may contact autodesk about your current account. with the whole 'purchasing beforehand' thing it seems to fall back to 'you should contact autodesk' if you feel you have been done wrong by their decision, and that they will reimburse you for the time you have yet to receive. keep in mind that my quotes are not in the proper places, but they still mention what should happen in case such a situation should arise.

to make it simple, if you paid for something and feel you're owed, i would read their agreement that says that you should contact them if you feel you have been wronged. i know that's extra work, but at the same time, it's better to be compensated than to just complain about it and hope they'll make amends. such happens with a new ownership.

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 24-08-2006 , 05:24 AM
Well this is where the grey area is.

Autodesk have a legal obligatino to uphold any agreement made by Alias to a customer. Contracts/purchases/T&C's cannot be ammended without prior notice. Also I would contact Autodesk, but there is no details about contacting them for this kind of issue. Also being in the UK makes contact very difficult as all the contac t information for this would be US based.

I am still waiting to hear from them about my last email. Seems I am being ignored. Surprise, Surprise

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 11 24-08-2006 , 09:22 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Just check the small print, then if you are within your rights threaten to sue them.

We had a situation with Alias a few years back with regards to licences for maya, we were runiing Maya 4, but bought new machines just after 4.5 came out so therefore V4 licences were then obselete and werent transferable , Alias then said they wouldnt issue new licences forthe new machines unless we bought 4.5!! You can imagine the uproar because they tried to force us to buy the software, my boss threatened to sue them, then surprise surprise, V4 licences appeared!!

I wish you luck, though I dont have membership, I can understand your being pissed off.

Keep us posted

Jay

# 12 25-08-2006 , 10:23 AM
Sueing a Major Corporation would never be an option, and neither would the threat. They are a multi-million pound business and dont really take notice of the little person. Also with myself being a UK resident and the company being US based, you have the major issues of International Law to condend with, in this case International Law would take presidence over UK or US Law.

The response from them is...

Dear Chris Moss,

Thank you for your e-mail. You should have received reimbursement on July 31st for the amount that remained within your contract period, to be credited to the credit card provided at the time of purchase.

We are in the process of investigating your transaction. As soon as we receive notice that this has been completed, we will re-notify you. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Kindest Regards,

Autodesk Membership Services

Not really the response I wanted, but the thing that annoyed me the most was I was never informed of this change or any action that Autodesk would take (hence my ranting and raving at them). Also they did state publicly that Autodesk were not out th change anything that Alias users have/see/do etc.. Well what was this all about then!!!

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 13 25-08-2006 , 04:35 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well if you were that serious about your money and being wronged, itwould become an issue, hence my little tale of woe to you. The company I worked for wasnt exactly a multi million pound earner compared to Alias/Autodesk, but never the less we got what we wanted thru the shear audacity by threatening to sue them. Trading standards and all that.

The good news is you got a result from them now. Bad time keeping on their part for sure. At least you get your money back for the period left, once they pull their finger out...

Jay