Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-02-2008 , 10:06 PM

FX CHALLENGE 01

FX CHALLENGE 01!

OK! Here we go!

The first FX CHALLENGE will be to create an 8-10-second complete shot of the Hoover Dam breaking in some dramatic way!

https://www.ragecg.com/public/SM/_TITLEimg.jpg

Simple to complex, it's up to you.
A small web of cracks, water jets and a bit of debris, OR a complete destruction sequence with a camera move and all of the above. You decideuser added image

The number of assets given allow for a small camera move if so required to complete your idea.
NOTE: You do NOT have to do a camera move!
It is up to you if you wish to do anything more advanced than a simple camera shake on a still plateuser added image

You can even feel free to make it a day-for-night shot as well.
Heck, you can even replace the environment completely with other things if you wish, but the main dam must be in the shot in the beginning and must be the point of the shot.

Your completed shot should be 192-240 frames long (8-10 seconds) at 24fps at low HD res 852x480 delivered in a compressed format as stated in the main FX CHALLENGE rules sticky-post.

Each FX Challenge will kick-off with a ONE week (7-day) "Pre-Production" period in which ALL challengers must do the following to qualify as a challenger:

1. Format your WIP thread title like the following:
"USERNAME FX-01-2008".
EXAMPLE: "RAGECGI FX-01-2008"
(The "01" part is the challenge number)

2. Within the first week of the pre-production period, before the Challenge start date, you must post a scetch, or a text description of your intended idea.
Yes, we know things change, so in the event you may get in over your head, or want/need to change your idea, update your WIP thread accordingly!

The assets I'll be giving out for this challenge have all been given usage rights by my plate photographer Todd Lynch, under the Creative Commons Attribute v3.0

The PRE-PRODUCTION week begins NOW.
Thursday Feb. 14th (Happy Valentines day!)
This means you also have a nice weekend to mull-over your idea and chat about it hereuser added image

And the OFFICIAL START date for everyone will be:
Thursday Feb. 21st!

I think a little present is in order for everyone still involved with this TOUGH, TOUGH challengeuser added image

The NEW official deadline for this challenge has now been pushed out to FRIDAY April 25th!

AND!!!!!!

To top it all off, I will be ordering 2 of the aforementioned prizes, so that means that there will be prizes for the TOP 2 ENTRIES!

So get cracking all!
--------------------------------------

Please feel free to post any questions, comments, and general challenge-related conversation hereuser added image

HOWEVER:
PLEASE READ THE GENERAL RULES BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!

Have a good time and remember to post your initial idea in your properly TITLED WIP thread! (see rules)

Oh, one more thing, I will ALSO be doing my version of each challenge along side everyone else!!
You will not be able to vote for me in the end, but its always good to feel the pain toouser added image

Good Luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com

# 2 12-02-2008 , 05:59 AM
Some Guy asked a good question:

Originally posted by Some Guy
Wassap,
This looks like fun... gives me an excuse to do some practical effects as well (is that aloud??)

YES!!!! Feel free to do practical effects as well!

Remember though, like the rules said, you need to show your work as you go along, so a nice shot of you on fire is always welcomeduser added image

JUST KIDDING!!!!!! hehe. PLEASE be safe everyone, hehe..

But yes, practical effects, miniatures, etc. are allowed.

I'll update the offical rules post right nowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 3 12-02-2008 , 06:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Rage I was wondering if collaborations were allowed or if this is solely a solo entry challenge?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

# 4 12-02-2008 , 06:38 AM
That is a very good question, and I WILL allow it, although I'm going to have to put a cap on a LIMIT of a 2-person team, mainly because in the event you win, I have to now deliver 2 prizes at twice the priceuser added image

So, yes. 2-person teams MAX are alloweduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 5 12-02-2008 , 08:43 AM
Subscriber
kittens saved thank god.

thats gonna be tough... i thikn I need the weekend to decide if it is doable.. BUT...

dam dam dam dam ... <tension rises> DAM DAM DAM ...

well I guess some night shifts will be acceptable.....

rock on everybody... Im gonna def watch your threads...
hehe :bandit:

# 6 12-02-2008 , 09:10 AM
Sweet bager!

Try to join anyway if you can though!

If you can't thats ok, cause you all are gonna LOVE the next one!
Boohahauser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 7 12-02-2008 , 11:11 AM
NEvermind I was under the illusion the model was supplied,
Well I'll try a challenge sooner than later

Last edited by jm82792; 12-02-2008 at 11:16 AM.

# 8 12-02-2008 , 11:38 AM
Yeah, sorry about that jm82792.
No models will ever be given out as assets, mainly because the ones we would require are a little too costly.

However keep in mind that as an effects shot, only the parts of the dam that you intend to break, or interact with need to be modeled and/or projected, so it's really not that difficult at all.

Seriously give it a shot if you can jm82792, because the worst that can happen is that you learn somethinguser added image

Hope to see your entry!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 9 12-02-2008 , 01:01 PM
I may not officially enter but I may experiment with dynamics,blobby particles and some stuff like that user added image
Thanks for the encouragement.

# 10 12-02-2008 , 01:33 PM
No problem! And that sounds great!

Feel free to use the assets to experiment with and have funuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 11 12-02-2008 , 06:46 PM
19 year Veteran
Wow, this challenge is really different. Too bad I don't have the free time to enter, and complete the parts by their posted deadlines.

I will drop by and check this as often as I can.

BTW, is Mike not organizing the challenges anymore?

# 12 12-02-2008 , 06:55 PM
im thinking i may give this a try maya 3d wise im not bad but when it comes to compositing well i spose no time like the present to learn and with two person teams hey one of my mates might do that half ill see what happens. this is a great idea for a challenge though

# 13 12-02-2008 , 07:52 PM
one more thing ragecgi are you allowed sound to be edited in

# 14 12-02-2008 , 08:23 PM
dont worry bout that sound question i just read the rules my apologies. you also say in the rules that everything must be created by you what about elements that have been created through the help of tutorials

# 15 12-02-2008 , 08:35 PM

Originally posted by THX1138
BTW, is Mike not organizing the challenges anymore?

Since he recently got married, he's taking a break for a while, so I'm filling in for him this timeuser added image
..and possibly for the next couple of times, we'll have to wait and see.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com