Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-10-2005 , 04:25 PM

selecting overlapping verts from multiple objects

I can't figure this out. Take a polygonal cube, extract one face. Now you have two objects. At each of the four corners of the extracted face there are now two overlapping vertices, one from each object. How can I select the two verts on a corner and manipulate them as one, while still keeping the objects seperate?

# 2 14-10-2005 , 05:51 PM
I think if you COMBINE the two object they will act as one so that you can pull the vertices around. After that I think you can UNCOMBINE (I think that's what it's called on the menu) them and they will be seperate again...user added image

# 3 14-10-2005 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
If you click and drag a small marquie around the overlapped vertices it will select them both. You can confirm this by looking at you poly count display. Be careful with the marquie because it can select unwanted vertices if the marquie is to big. Or turn on backface-culling if your having a big problem.

# 4 22-10-2005 , 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. I found that switching the selection mode to "Select by component type" and then "points" for the selection mask got me what I needed.